How much maintenance is required, not including the battery?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all=)

This post is referring to the eGolf only.

So, I am wondering... say you get 8years and 80k miles on your EV, and then you just have to replace the batteries.

Say, that the original cost of the vehicle was 15k.

Then you find that it costs 10-15k to replace the batteries.

So you spent 15k for 80k miles, and when you replace the batteries it costs you another 15k. You then get another 90k becausr battery technology has improved.

You just got 170k miles from your car and the car cost 30k. Battery tech and lifespan should improve over time, so the costs and mileage limits on then should both improve also.

How long is the rest of the car going to last?
I understand shocks, tires, brakes... but what else really needs maintenance and how long car you expect the rest of the car to last?

I am assuming that, since ICEs are also put into most of the EVs(except Teslas) that the rest of the car will last like a normal gasoline version. 200k-500k. But you wont have as much other bs breaking causing bills with an EV because there are fewer parts to go bad?

My gasoline vehicle has 122k miles, and I have had to replace a waterpump, 2 starters, a fuel pump, belts, fluids. Eventually other parts will go out adding more costs.

Are there simply fewer parts to go bad? Do you have to change fluids in parts like transmission, axels, powersteering, etc just like an ICE vehicle? Is the maintenance of an ev(except the motor) less than an ICE?

People spend 30k-90k, or more, on ICE vehicles. So why not use the incentives and rebates to get a brand new EV for 15k ish, and then just buy new batteries until you get into the hundreds of thousands of miles?

I for one did not buy this to save the environment or money. It would have been cheaper to keep putting diesel into my Jetta TDI (50 mpg), even with work providing free charging. WIth 360K miles on the engine (my previous car went 519K before donating it), you're right about maintenance costs too. I don't think the eGolf will need a battery at 80K but it's not going to go 200+K without a lot of capacity loss. BTW, someone damaged their battery pack and their dealer wants to charge them $36K for a new pack. So who knows what a pack really costs.

I bought the eGolf mostly because it's a fun car and I wanted to get my feet wet with an EV car. Love the throttle response, it's new, and when I sell it years from now that will lower my costs too.

Maintenance wise, I do my own maintenance which lowers costs a lot. That said, the eGolf should require very little. The owners manual has a lot of entries for inspecting high voltage cables, brake linings (which should last a long time due to regenerative breaking), and tire rotations. There is a coolant change at 5 years, brake fluid at I forget (usually 2) and a locking transaxle fluid change. No plugs, engine oil changes, smog check (every 2 years here in Calif), no visiting gas stations and their fluctuating prices and gas quality. VWs are expensive to maintain if you have to go to the dealer. Some will gouge you on services you don't need so shop around when it's time to get your eGolf serviced. First few services should be inexpensive. Note that this is a 'special' car and mom and pop shops likely won't be able to service the EV portion. The rest of the eGolf is the same as the ICE Golf.

If your commute is low, and you need a 'new' car anyways, and you can get a deal on it, a battery EV makes sense, just don't expect to keep it forever.

Just looked in the maintenance schedule, and maybe I missed it, but the only fluid I see is brake fluid. What page in the booklet mentions coolant change and transaxle fluid change? Thanks.

f1geek said:
Just looked in the maintenance schedule, and maybe I missed it, but the only fluid I see is brake fluid. What page in the booklet mentions coolant change and transaxle fluid change? Thanks.

Weird, now I can't find it. I don't see it mentioned in my 2019 maintenance schedule at all.

This 2018 schedule lists the locking fluid change every 3 years. Have no idea if the eGolf has this or it's a typo.
https://www.jorgevw.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/2018-VW-eGolf-Maintenace-Schedule.pdf

I know I saw the coolant change somewhere, probably in a specific year's maintenance schedule.

Typo. XDS, the electronic differential lock system on the e-Golf, simulates a locking differential by differentially modulating the left vs right front axle friction brakes.

Therefore, there is no locking differential fluid in the e-Golf. I don’t see a coolant change listed in your supplied PDF, so it seems the only fluid (other than windshield washer liquid) change required is brake fluid.

f1geek said:
Typo. XDS, the electronic differential lock system on the e-Golf, simulates a locking differential by differentially modulating the left vs right front axle friction brakes.

Therefore, there is no locking differential fluid in the e-Golf. I don’t see a coolant change listed in your supplied PDF, so it seems the only fluid (other than windshield washer liquid) change required is brake fluid.

Thanks for the clarification. Our PT Cruiser utilized the same traction control. Sorry for the wrong into on the coolant change.

Back