instrument cluster stuck on phone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turtlebud

I have a 2016 LE and I answered a phone call using the instrument cluster/wiper stalk today. problem is, I cannot get out of the phone display now. Here is what i've tried:

RTFM - it was no help
go through car configuration - reset instrument cluster
go through phone config - nothing found to reset the instrument cluster display
go use the wiper stalk to try and navigate out - the only thing it does is show me my last calls (to dial) or go back.

when I start the car, the automatically starts up with the phone display and it tries to connect to my phone.

tried to not have the phone on so it wouldn't connect, but it just says it's trying to automatically connect
turned the bluetooth off, but it just says that bluetooth is off and can't connect to phone.

i'd really like to get back to my original cluster display (miles traveled, consumption, etc.)

any suggestions?

turtlebud said:
I have a 2016 LE and I answered a phone call using the instrument cluster/wiper stalk today. problem is, I cannot get out of the phone display now. Here is what i've tried:

RTFM - it was no help
go through car configuration - reset instrument cluster
go through phone config - nothing found to reset the instrument cluster display
go use the wiper stalk to try and navigate out - the only thing it does is show me my last calls (to dial) or go back.

when I start the car, the automatically starts up with the phone display and it tries to connect to my phone.

tried to not have the phone on so it wouldn't connect, but it just says it's trying to automatically connect
turned the bluetooth off, but it just says that bluetooth is off and can't connect to phone.

i'd really like to get back to my original cluster display (miles traveled, consumption, etc)

any suggestions?

Go to infotainment center. Click on hard button "car", in the screen on the lower right there is an icon of a gear cog, for "settings" Go in there. From there, on your infotainment center, select what you want in the dash.

Maybe next time ignore your phone and drive? Seems your car and phone don't play nice together. First off, turn off the bluetooth on your smart phone device. Secondly, turn off the bluetooth search function in the infotainment center in your car.

See if on your stalk, there is a "back page" arrow. Or a "scroll through" button.

Hi Joules,

I tried to infotainment center option - sorry, forgot to include it in my list of things that I tried. Phone is not an option that I can unselect for that section, so that didn't help.

In regards to your comment on ignoring the phone and driving, are you trying to say that I'm dumb of me to use the phone feature of the car? I could be totally misconstruing, but that's what it sounds like to me. If not, then no worries.

I was actually parked when I took this call so I wasn't driving. Aside from that, just not using that particular feature isn't a good solution to me - that's kind of why I posted to this forum. And if I don't this feature because it's not working correctly, are there other features that I probably shouldn't use for this car? That seems silly to me.

I have tried to turn off bluetooth on the phone, and then tried to turn it off on the car. Neither of them got me our of the phone display on the cluster.

I have also tried a number of button presses on the stalk and the reset (0.0) right under the cluster (which by the way, if you hold it down, just sets the clock). If you press the up/down on the side of the stalk, it takes you to your last dialed numbers. You can either dial a number with the OK/reset button or scroll down to the back option, which takes you back to the phone display. I've also tried to hold down the ok/reset button, which did nothing, and holding down the up/down which only took you to the dialed numbers again.

My last resort is to do a factory reset, but I'd prefer not to do that cause I'd have to redo the any setup/customizations that I have done. It seems like there should be a way to exit out of the phone display on the cluster without have to set everything back to the initial state.

With the car powered, try holding either the up or down button on the end of the stalk for a few seconds to enable scrolling through the Multi-function display's modes. This is a somewhat hidden feature for us to get by without steering wheel controls.

Verkehr said:
With the car powered, try holding either the up or down button on the end of the stalk for a few seconds to enable scrolling through the Multi-function display's modes. This is a somewhat hidden feature for us to get by without steering wheel controls.

How did you find this "hidden feature"?

JoulesThief said:
Verkehr said:

When you have no other option, you just start trying stuff. That's how I found it. Ours somehow got stuck in the Compass mode, which is NAV mode with no destination entered. I didn't like it, so I just kept trying different things with the three available buttons on the stalk.

This is yet another item where the documentation is completely useless.

miimura said:
JoulesThief said:
Verkehr said:

When you have no other option, you just start trying stuff. That's how I found it. Ours somehow got stuck in the Compass mode, which is NAV mode with no destination entered. I didn't like it, so I just kept trying different things with the three available buttons on the stalk.

Compass mode is the factory default setting. I don't know what I did to make mine go away, pretty sure I did it through the infotainment center.

JoulesThief said:
miimura said:

Compass mode is the factory default setting. I don't know what I did to make mine go away, pretty sure I did it through the infotainment center.
I thought you had a SEL. In that case, the steering wheel buttons make manipulating the center of the gauge cluster very easy and intuitive. The wiper stalk buttons and the trip odometer button are anything but intuitive, yet similarly based on holding the buttons down.

I thought the LE had the controls on the steering wheel?

And wow the SEL has a compass? I didn't see that on my SE.

forbin404 said:
I thought the LE had the controls on the steering wheel?

And wow the SEL has a compass? I didn't see that on my SE.
2015 LE deleted the fancy steering wheel and therefore cruise control as well. This is our 2015 LE:

e_Golf_LE_Steering_Wheel.jpg

The compass comes up when the center display in the gauge cluster is in NAV mode. If the SE doesn't have NAV, it probably hides the compass by skipping that screen entirely.

johnnylingo said:
Yep, no cruise control or steering wheel buttons on the 2015 LE or 2016 SE. Once again, my cheat sheet:

https://spaces.hightail.com/space/yZm8Z

Johny, that's a great spread sheet.

I would add on the bottom, another row for battery capacity..., useable 22.1kw/actual 24.2kw for 2015 and 2016 models, and a question mark for 2017 models, will it be 31 or 32 kw? It might be a 2017 option, or a 2017 late model option, or a 2018 option... time will tell.

Verkehr said:

Thank you very much Verkehr. It worked for me. This is exactly what I needed and greatly appreciated!

miimura said:
JoulesThief said:
Verkehr said:

Completely agree with you miimura. Not sure if I just run into issues that are uncommon, so they don't put it in the manual or the manual is just incomplete. It doesn't give much confidence in looking things up in the manual when the first two times you run into a problem and look for the answers in the manual, you don't find them. Wonder if there is an owners manual made by owners with these valuable instructions/information out there.

turtlebud said:
Completely agree with you miimura. Not sure if I just run into issues that are uncommon, so they don't put it in the manual or the manual is just incomplete. It doesn't give much confidence in looking things up in the manual when the first two times you run into a problem and look for the answers in the manual, you don't find them. Wonder if there is an owners manual made by owners with these valuable instructions/information out there.
I rented an ICE Jetta for 2 weeks and believe me , that manual is even WORSE than the e-Golfs.
Whomever writes manuals at VW needs to get canned.

Back