Many thanks to JoulesThief!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmwtech

I am the proud new owner of a 2015 e-Golf SEL. It's an incredibly long and convoluted story but suffice it to say that JoulesThief helped me immensely to secure the purchase of my first brand new car.
The details:
$36k MSRP
Negotiated down to $28k
Less $1k Conquest VW instant rebate = $27k
I elected to pay the tax up front.
Y'all already know about State/Fed rebate so the net price will end up being ~$17k.
I flew down to LA from San Jose this morning because Silicon Valley dealers apparently have too many people willing to pay full tilt, or nearly.
I'm driving her back home to San Jose and made it to San Luis Obispo where she's charging here at the hotel. Can't wait to get her into commute mode.
I am dead nut tired. 'Nite y'all.
Oops, I meant this for another thread. Whatever, I'm tired.

Bmwtech said:
I am the proud new owner of a 2015 e-Golf SEL. It's an incredibly long and convoluted story but suffice it to say that JoulesThief helped me immensely to secure the purchase of my first brand new car.
The details:
$36k MSRP
Negotiated down to $28k
Less $1k Conquest VW instant rebate = $27k
I elected to pay the tax up front.
Y'all already know about State/Fed rebate so the net price will end up being ~$17k.
I flew down to LA from San Jose this morning because Silicon Valley dealers apparently have too many people willing to pay full tilt, or nearly.
I'm driving her back home to San Jose and made it to San Luis Obispo where she's charging here at the hotel. Can't wait to get her into commute mode.
I am dead nut tired. 'Nite y'all.
Oops, I meant this for another thread. Whatever, I'm tired.
For other buyers with sterling credit ratings, don't have your credit ratings locked down when applying for a loan from VW Credit, or anyone else... it will add an hour or more to the transaction time, which is already a painfully slow process.

Hopefully bmwtech will feel more rested tomorrow, I know I will... pulling a rabbit out of the hat in short order with an airline ticket on the line, and having to source another car because of fun and games being played by the original seller was not my idea of a good time. You couldn't pay me enough to have to perform like that, day in day out, under that kind of pressure.

WOW! My "feeling" is anything under $30k for a 2015 SEL in the Bay Area is a score. To get it for $27k? Well worth the trip and extra effort.

What color did you get?

johnnylingo said:
WOW! My "feeling" is anything under $30k for a 2015 SEL in the Bay Area is a score. To get it for $27k? Well worth the trip and extra effort.

What color did you get?

Classic silver with black leatherette interior. I won't kid or fool anyone on this, it's a lot of work, the odds are so far stacked in the dealerships favor. They know every trick in the book to get more money out of you. I got very, very lucky in finding a deal for Bmwtech on short, short notice. Convoluted story is an understatement, a complete lack of communication and follow up from the dealership I bought mine from. After negotiating a price, an offer and acceptance, they wouldn't honor their offer. At that point, another dealership needed to be brought into the fold that could get the deal done.

Some communication with roonie confirmed that this dealership was low balling to get your butt into the hot seat, and then find some excuse to renegotiate a much higher price, after you showed up in person. Always some sort of error made on their part, it's not good business for them, what ever. Lack of integrity, I don't know how they sleep at night, no negotiations in good faith.

johnnylingo said:

What color did you get?

Are people really having that tough time getting a decent deal in the Bay Area? I guess I should feel good about the deal I got.

to the OP:
Glad to hear everything worked out in the end though. Sounds like you'll have a good road trip ahead. What's your charging plan the rest of the way to San Jose?

DasCC said:
johnnylingo said:

What color did you get?

Are people really having that tough time getting a decent deal in the Bay Area? I guess I should feel good about the deal I got.

to the OP:
Glad to hear everything worked out in the end though. Sounds like you'll have a good road trip ahead. What's your charging plan the rest of the way to San Jose?[/quote}

Valencia to Costco in Goleta, that was 30 minutes on a level 3. Goleta to Santa Maria VW, for an hour, to SLO, where he supposedly charged overnight fully. Somehow, by the time he it the community College in King City, he had 5 miles of range left, but he did drive on a cold early morning attempt, might have had some head wind. 2.5 hours charging in King City, an hour charging at Cardinale VW in Salinas, then rest of drive home to San Jose. Says he drove 60.

Driving slower in these cars saves vasts amounts of charging time, as you can only charge at about 30 to 32 miles per hour, if you are making 5.5 miles per kwh. Saved charging time beats driving time, hands down, by two to one factor, which matters if you are charging during the day, but does not matter if you find somewhere to charge overnight while lodging, so last leg of the day, you might be able to drive faster and not get penalized for charging time.

Volkswagen is making a statement about these cars when 50 mph is straight up on the speedometer... it's an urban vehicle, it's not for long distance driving, really, where you are pressed for recharging time to make your next destination. These are one time commutes.

In my excitement of joining the forum, I completely misspelled berkeley. Duh... Anyway, how did you get such a great deal in LA area. I'm in LA and the looking for the 2015 SEL lease deal, but can't find one. I've been offered a 3 year lease, 7.5 kmi/year, for about $8.5K (which includes all dealer fees, TTL, $7.5K fed tax credit, and $1K VW rebate for non-VW owners) for 2016 SE. After a $2.5K CA rebate I would be looking at $6K three year total cost.

Analyzing all the lease deals here on this forum, I'm seeing somewhere around $6.5K-7K for the 2016 SE, and around $8.5K for 2015 SEL (before the 2.5k rebate).

I know that there may not be many 2015 models left, but can someone point me to a dealer where I can snag a good lease deal on a 2015 SEL?

Greatly appreciate any help I can get.

berekelyboi said:
In my excitement of joining the forum, I completely misspelled berkeley. Duh... Anyway, how did you get such a great deal in LA area. I'm in LA and the looking for the 2015 SEL lease deal, but can't find one. I've been offered a 3 year lease, 7.5 kmi/year, for about $8.5K (which includes all dealer fees, TTL, $7.5K fed tax credit, and $1K VW rebate for non-VW owners) for 2016 SE. After a $2.5K CA rebate I would be looking at $6K three year total cost.

Analyzing all the lease deals here on this forum, I'm seeing somewhere around $6.5K-7K for the 2016 SE, and around $8.5K for 2015 SEL (before the 2.5k rebate).

I know that there may not be many 2015 models left, but can someone point me to a dealer where I can snag a good lease deal on a 2015 SEL?

Greatly appreciate any help I can get.
I am sorry, I've no experience with lease deals... the folks I've helped have bought them.

Hi joulesthief, I would be open to buying as well if an opportunity like yours presented itself on an 2015 sel. Any suggestions?

Congratulations. It's great that people on the forum can help out others in their car buying process. Did you have any luck with the Massachusetts dealers? I found the Chevy dealers easier to work with and honored the email quote when I got my Volt a couple of months back, which wasn't the case with VW dealers..it was a lot of work to get my deal.

berekelyboi said:
Hi joulesthief, I would be open to buying as well if an opportunity like yours presented itself on an 2015 sel. Any suggestions?

Ha!
Opportunities do not just "present" themselves from VW Dealerships. It's an immense amount of work to find a deal, both time consuming and frustrating. The rug has been pulled out from under many of us, many a time, just trying to get even close to a price worth signing the paperwork on.

It's hard work, it's time consuming, and time is money.

I'm sure you are right. I just got the impression from your deal that there was a deal that was hard to pass up, but obviously you must have worked hard for it.

Back