Most efficient LRR tire to replace Ecopia 422

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We bought the 70,000 mile version from Costco (only version in stock when we needed to buy), and they seem to work just like the originals. We got the full 50,000 miles from the originals. Hoping this set lives up to their warranty.

60k miles is amazing. I got less than 30k out of my stock Ecopias and I drive conservatively. I replaced them with Crossclimate2. They grip better, the tread pattern looks great (mostly irrelevant, I know) and efficiency dropped less than 5%.

Ecopia 422 is the king of efficiency, period.
Recently,, I switched to Nokian One. Have been really impressed with it.
  • Grips in dry and wet is superior to Ecopia 422
  • Much quieter
  • Range impact ~5% including city and highway up 70 mph.
    • This is based on extensive testing on the same day with the same temperature, same roads and handful of runs.
If you don't care about 5% range impact, I highly encourage you to give up on Ecopia :)

$137: www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/nokian-tire-one?cjevent=926cb8b901a011ef802401d80a1eba23&CJAID=13390473&CJPID=100357191
I paid $104/tire but it's currently unavailable www.amazon.com/dp/B09BF7F9T1

Although efficiency is important, tires also provide essential traction for *everything* your vehicle does - move forward, stop, corner and also contribute to driving feel (tire flex is part of suspension) and noise (tread).
My 2019 came with ~11,000mi on stock/OE Ecopias, appeared to have "some tread life". General mi/kWh for first few 1000 miles was 4.3 - 4.4 (including winter, etc).
Dry traction wasn't good (noise/squeal at 25mph corner), wet traction was dismal, handling was horrid.
At about 15,000 mi Noticed an *ugly* sidewall bulge/goiter (dry-rot) on one tire and switched all four to Continental Extreme Contact DWS ("High Performance All Season") in 205/55-16.
Significant improvement in dry traction, better cornering, better wet traction (not much change from dry!!), quieter ride and improved handling.
Initial range was around 4.2mi/kWh (around 3% drop, which seemed to make sense, LRR tires only increase range 3-5%) but it was also new tires (taller tread "squirms" and increases friction, older tires are more efficient, regardless of LRR or not) summer (AC use) and didn't have them inflated to 41-42psi as I should've.
Now at 25,000 miles, running average 4.3-4.4mi/kWh, treadlife still looking healthy, tires continue to be solid, quiet, good handling, good ride. Even had reasonable traction in snow and 20-degree when I was out.
To summarize, my opinion is that Ecopia 422 are poor at *everything* a tire should do - go, stop and turn, both dry/wet and "OK" at efficiency.
Continental DWS have been delightful in all respects for what tires should do - go, stop and turn with basically no penalty in efficiency and noticeable quieter/smoother ride.
As they say, YMMV (Your mileage may vary) - but I won't be buying Ecopia (or any other LRR tire) for my eGolf again.
I'll be curious if mi/kW changes (improve?) with lighter wheels and a slight lowering. In which case, all the more support for good (performance) tires - just keep the pressure up!

Back