parking brake auto engages when driver door is opened

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eeedub said:
Especially for someone coming from a manual transmission none of this is muscle memory and pretty annoying.

You would normally release a parking brake without pressing the foot brake first? :eek:

My TDI (we all know how much bad stuff these are putting out the tailpipe) does not turn off when I get out with the key in my pocket, why should my electric? I would guess its a battery saving thing but wouldn't a 1 or 5 minute timer be a lot better? That lets you get in and out, leaving the car ready to go, lights on, climate control going and could turn off after the timer to prevent draining the battery..

I can tell you from my visits to Europe that automatic stop start is becoming common, and probably mandatory. My guess is this "feature" is part safety, and part an existing eco-programming ethic from ICEVs that made its way into BEVs. The manual is clearly a cut and paste from the ICEV version so I wouldn't be surprised if many parts of the car's computer programming is as well.

RonDawg said:
bizzle said:
For automatic/single gear (EVs) cars, pressing on the brake pedal to simply start it didn't become a thing until pushbutton start.

That is not 100% the case. Since 2005 the Touareg you have to press the gas pedal to start the car with the key.

BrianZ said:
RonDawg said:
bizzle said:
For automatic/single gear (EVs) cars, pressing on the brake pedal to simply start it didn't become a thing until pushbutton start.

That is not 100% the case. Since 2005 the Touareg you have to press the gas pedal to start the car with the key.

My first encounter with a pushbutton start car was before the Touareg came out, I can't remember if it was a BMW or an Infiniti. I had to ask the owner how to start it because pressing the button without pressing the brake turned the car on but wouldn't engage the starter.

RonDawg said:
My first encounter with a pushbutton start car was before the Touareg came out, I can't remember if it was a BMW or an Infiniti. I had to ask the owner how to start it because pressing the button without pressing the brake turned the car on but wouldn't engage the starter.

Sorry I misunderstood.. I thought you were saying push button start cars are the ones that need the break pressed to start.. Not all cars since then

BrianZ said:
RonDawg said:
bizzle said:

I have to step on the brakes on both my 2012 Touareg and 2013 Touareg to start.

Just wanted to respond to a couple things, seems like this is getting a bit off topic but I will keep it going that way...

bizzle said:
I'm confused by all these responses.

I was taught to always have my foot on the brake pedal when I start and stop the car. Seems like it'd be common sense.
With a manual transmission that'd be even more important. Did you really start your manuals without your foot on the brake pedal? How can that not be muscle memory by now?

Foot on the clutch yes, on the brake, not typically unless I am on a hill and there is a risk the car will roll when the clutch is pushed in. I think if you watch most people start their manual trans cars they would not put a foot on the brake. Most of the time the parking brake is engaged so the car will not move until that is release and the car put in gear and clutch let out.

RonDawg said:
eeedub said:
Especially for someone coming from a manual transmission none of this is muscle memory and pretty annoying.

You would normally release a parking brake without pressing the foot brake first? :eek:

My TDI (we all know how much bad stuff these are putting out the tailpipe) does not turn off when I get out with the key in my pocket, why should my electric? I would guess its a battery saving thing but wouldn't a 1 or 5 minute timer be a lot better? That lets you get in and out, leaving the car ready to go, lights on, climate control going and could turn off after the timer to prevent draining the battery..

I can tell you from my visits to Europe that automatic stop start is becoming common, and probably mandatory. My guess is this "feature" is part safety, and part an existing eco-programming ethic from ICEVs that made its way into BEVs. The manual is clearly a cut and paste from the ICEV version so I wouldn't be surprised if many parts of the car's computer programming is as well.

Yes, similar to above unless on a hill I would release parking brake, pick a gear and let out clutch and start going without ever touching the brake. The car is not going to move by itself like an auto, my left foot decides when and how quickly I start going. This may seem very strange to people who drive automatics (or at least learned on one) but for someone who learned on a stick, this is an efficient, normal way to operate.

I agree on the safety aspect of the automatic stop, however I really hope this does not become the norm/ a requirement. In the winter here it is fairly common to warm your car up for a few minutes (the E-golf climate control through carnet is amazing) before you go anywhere and also leave it running for a short stop. This is by no means a necessity where I live as we don't see super frigid temps that often, but there are certain parts of the country/ world where it almost is.

Anyway, seems my driving habits/ requirements are different than most here and I guess I am just nitpicking. ;)

On all my cars, I have small dome mirrors on the lower outside of both my side mirrors. Eliminates blind spots, or not seeing some jerk fast driving into you blind spots, and solves the odd parallel parking curb issue, far better than a backup camera. Try it, maybe you’ll like it. Cheap solution and, spend the extra buck to get the one that’s adjustable in the bezel.

Back