Recommendations for a 20A EVSE for an apt parking spot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking to install an EVSE in my apt's parking spot. Alas, my electrician told me that I can only safely support a 20A circuit for the charger.

Since I'm not going to be charging rocket fast, I don't really feel a need to spend a lot of money on the EVSE itself. The dumber the better, I guess.

I am noticing that at least for most of the reputable companies I've heard about, the prices for EVSE's seem to still be very high.

My current requirements / preferences:

* 20A
* Hardwired. Since it's a multi-unit building, it needs to be attached to the wall so it doesn't walk away.
* No real need for WiFi. The parking garage doesn't get good cell reception either.
* Reliably works with the Golf.
* Would be nice if it supported both J1772 and NACS (I'm in California. And many automakers are switching their plugs.)

The first places I looked were JuiceBox, ClipperCreek, and Grizzl-e. And I see all three were relatively recently acquired. My current default is the Tesla Universal Wall Connector. But it's $549 and rated for 48A which seems like overkill for my installation.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Is there anything under $500 out there that is high quality? Or is $500 the floor?

I'm looking to install an EVSE in my apt's parking spot. Alas, my electrician told me that I can only safely support a 20A circuit for the charger.

Since I'm not going to be charging rocket fast, I don't really feel a need to spend a lot of money on the EVSE itself. The dumber the better, I guess.

I am noticing that at least for most of the reputable companies I've heard about, the prices for EVSE's seem to still be very high.

My current requirements / preferences:

* 20A
* Hardwired. Since it's a multi-unit building, it needs to be attached to the wall so it doesn't walk away.
* No real need for WiFi. The parking garage doesn't get good cell reception either.
* Reliably works with the Golf.
* Would be nice if it supported both J1772 and NACS (I'm in California. And many automakers are switching their plugs.)

The first places I looked were JuiceBox, ClipperCreek, and Grizzl-e. And I see all three were relatively recently acquired. My current default is the Tesla Universal Wall Connector. But it's $549 and rated for 48A which seems like overkill for my installation.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Is there anything under $500 out there that is high quality? Or is $500 the floor?
Any EVSE can be hard wired - the electrician can cut off the plug and hard wire it. How about the cheaper stations from Clipper Creek (now owned by Enphase. Since the circuit is 20 A, you can not pull more than 16 A continuously.

https://enphase.com/store/ev-chargers/amazinge-ev-charger-nema-14-30-plug-16

We have been happy with our Zener ($169, Amazon, B075GJK2S9) for going on five years.

Back