Thinking about an e-golf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyVirk

Considering buying a 2017 e golf. Commute is 40 miles round trip, but the parking garage I'm in has free 110v so I could trickle throughout the day. Would set up a 240v at home.

-Thinking I really want the D.C. fast charge capability for future proofing, and/or longer range trips on occasion.

-How much range do you lose in below freezing temps?

-Is there any difference between the 17 and 18 models because it looks like the 18s aren't available currently.

-Considering the e golf and the i3. Can get the e golf for approx 15k usd new and the i3 for 20k new after rebates and incentives. Has anyone had both?

1) Assume a conservative 50% loss in range in way sub-freezing temps, in part because of massive heater usage. That would be very conservative. You shouldn't have to worry at all with your commute, even without the trickle charge.

2) Haven't seen any specs on the 2018 E-Golf to know if there are any differences.

Glad I did not pay for the DC charger. I have yet to come across a charger in Los Angeles area capable of supporting it. I'm sure they are out there, they would come in handle on long trips, but for that we just jump into the Prius.

SocaleGolf said:
Glad I did not pay for the DC charger. I have yet to come across a charger in Los Angeles area capable of supporting it. I'm sure they are out there, they would come in handle on long trips, but for that we just jump into the Prius.

Good point on the charger availability. I will have to check my area and surrounding areas. This would be my only vehicle, so I wouldn't have the benefit of having a long range counterpart.

TyVirk said:
Considering buying a 2017 e golf. Commute is 40 miles round trip, but the parking garage I'm in has free 110v so I could trickle throughout the day. Would set up a 240v at home.

-Thinking I really want the D.C. fast charge capability for future proofing, and/or longer range trips on occasion.

-How much range do you lose in below temps?

-Is there any difference between the 17 and 18 models because it looks like the 18s aren't available currently.

-Considering the e golf and the i3. Can get the e golf for approx 15k usd new and the i3 for 20k new after rebates and incentives. Has anyone had both?

1. A 2017 eGolf can easily handle your commute with its EPA-rated 125 mile range. Unless you will be driving in subzero cold, I wouldn't worry about the cold impacting range, but if it does worry you the SEL models come with a heat pump which is less power-hungry than the resistive heater of the SE model.

2. Agreed on the DCFC. I rarely use mine but when I have it's been great. The only time I would say to not bother is if you area has no DCFC's within range from home and you are not expecting any to be installed anytime soon.

3. Nobody knows because VWoA have not released the 2018 models yet, but we are not expecting any major changes.

4. If you are getting a 2015 or 2016 model, note those have a smaller battery and thus less range (EPA 80-ish miles?). But if you have 110 charging at work you should be OK. I would definitely step up to an SEL here as the heat pump will give you an added range cushion when it's cold out.

SocaleGolf said:

They're out there, even the Antelope Valley has one. I have no problems finding DCFC CCS stations in the greater LA area, though there are pockets where they tend to be lacking, like along PCH west of Santa Monica, or the northern San Fernando Valley.

From the Pasadena area, using DCFC I've gone as far west as Moorpark, as far east as Ontario, and as far south as Disneyland. I can go further but have not tried it.

RonDawg said:
TyVirk said:

-How much range do you lose in below temps?

1. A 2017 eGolf can easily handle your commute with its EPA-rated 125 mile range. Unless you will be driving in subzero cold, I wouldn't worry about the cold impacting range, but if it does worry you the SEL models come with a heat pump which is less power-hungry than the resistive heater of the SE model.

2. Agreed on the DCFC. I rarely use mine but when I have it's been great. The only time I would say to not bother is if you area has no DCFC's within range from home and you are not expecting any to be installed anytime soon.

3. Nobody knows because VWoA have not released the 2018 models yet, but we are not expecting any major changes.

4. If you are getting a 2015 or 2016 model, note those have a smaller battery and thus less range (EPA 80-ish miles?). But if you have 110 charging at work you should be OK. I would definitely step up to an SEL here as the heat pump will give you an added range cushion when it's cold out.

Great info, thanks. I'll have to see if I can find SEL, the heat pump would probably be worth it because I'll be driving in sub freezing temps for 3-4 months out of the year.

TyVirk said:

Haven't owned an i3 but have test driven and rented them, and am currently looking at a new 2018 i3 to replace my 2016 e-Golf SE. Biggest thing to watch out for is you don't get much for the $40k base price. Most people will want to the tech package, carplay, and parking distance control, which adds $3500. I personally am more interesting in the 'S' model since it handles better on the highway, and that's another $4k. So now I'm up to $50k MSRP for the options I want, and that's for only 110 miles range (barely adequate for my commute). So now considering the REx which is another $4k. Finally, the base speakers aren't all that great so looking at another $800 for the Harman/Kardons. So that's a $55k MSRP and not even including the cosmetic stuff like interior trim and moonroof

Thanks to the PG&E $10k rebate I wouldn't be so opposed to the price if a local dealer had exactly what I wanted, but BMW set a sales record for the i3 back in March and it really seems all the good ones got taken.

I'm currently taking a serious look at a Focus - same range as the 2017 e-Golf, but slightly better availability.

johnnylingo said:
TyVirk said:

Haven't owned an i3 but have test driven and rented them, and am currently looking at a new 2018 i3 to replace my 2016 e-Golf SE. Biggest thing to watch out for is you don't get much for the $40k base price. Most people will want to the tech package, carplay, and parking distance control, which adds $3500. I personally am more interesting in the 'S' model since it handles better on the highway, and that's another $4k. So now I'm up to $50k MSRP for the options I want, and that's for only 110 miles range (barely adequate for my commute). So now considering the REx which is another $4k. Finally, the base speakers aren't all that great so looking at another $800 for the Harman/Kardons. So that's a $55k MSRP and not even including the cosmetic stuff like interior trim and moonroof

Thanks to the PG&E $10k rebate I wouldn't be so opposed to the price if a local dealer had exactly what I wanted, but BMW set a sales record for the i3 back in March and it really seems all the good ones got taken.

I'm currently taking a serious look at a Focus - same range as the 2017 e-Golf, but slightly better availability.

i3 options definitely add up. I do like the interior of the i3

TyVirk said:
i3 options definitely add up. I do like the interior of the i3

Me too. The giga is especially nice, and the base dark interiors they started on the 2016 models are an improvement from the boring mega trim on the 2014/2015 models.

Just did some more searching on the Focus and saw Serramonte has an advertised sale price of $25k. While I'd take an e-Golf over the Focus any day, getting 115 mile range, fast charger, and premium stereo at that price point is hard to beat.

Back