Tire chirping ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deschodt

Now that the car has about 1600 mi, I'm noticing that those low grip "ecopia" tires chirp everytime I brake near a stop sign. I'm not talking hard braking here, normal or even super slow coming to a stop. But if the tire hits a painted line (not a the super old ones), "chirp"... Scares pedestrians, and I promise I'm not trying to ;-) Took a coworker to lunch and he agreed I was braking like grandma and the tires should not squeal.... Not really a Q, I guess, because I don't plan on replacing tires on a lease if I can avoid it, and supposedly they are long lasting, but another argument against low rolling resistance tires of that brand... If I owned it, that'd be a different story... Still very happy with the car overall though !

Deschodt said:
Now that the car has about 1600 mi, I'm noticing that those low grip "ecopia" tires chirp everytime I brake near a stop sign. I'm not talking hard braking here, normal or even super slow coming to a stop. But if the tire hits a painted line (not a the super old ones), "chirp"... Scares pedestrians, and I promise I'm not trying to ;-) Took a coworker to lunch and he agreed I was braking like grandma and the tires should not squeal.... Not really a Q, I guess, because I don't plan on replacing tires on a lease if I can avoid it, and supposedly they are long lasting, but another argument against low rolling resistance tires of that brand... If I owned it, that'd be a different story... Still very happy with the car overall though !

Maybe stop back behind the limit line, before the paint, like you learned in drivers education, then inch up the rest of the way?

Yup, I see the same thing during my daily commute. On one particularly steep downhill stretch, every crosswalk gives me a chirp if I've got the brakes on, especially when it's wet.

I was scared the first time it happened but I'm used to it now.

Back