Trip odometer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svento

Based on my intuition (and checking the manual), the 0.0 button in the center of dash is to control the trip odometer. However, when I push it once nothing happens at all. The only thing I can seem to get that button to do is bring up the clock set function (totally useless since the car gets it's time from GPS), and that's only when I hold the button for a while.

Am I doing something wrong? Does this car somehow not have a trip odometer?

I'm having the same issue. Per the manual the windshield wiper stalk is supposed to have a rocker switch on the end, and a reset button on the bottom, to control the trip functions too. But neither is present on my car.

Yes, I noticed that too. I figured at least the button would work in some reasonable way... even if not the way described in the manual. Say: push once to display trip, push again to go back to odometer, hold to reset trip! Seems pretty obvious, but not how it works!

I have noticed about 50% of the things I look up in the manual are flat out wrong. (Including the hilarious warning I noticed recently about not running the car inside a garage!)

Honestly I'm fine with some quirky things in a newly released car, but my concern is that the engineering teams are too busy with next generation features to care about fixing the badly broken things on production vehicles. Let's hope they prove me wrong!

The function of the "0.0" button depends on the state of the car:
1. When the ignition is on, and you push and hold the button, you can reach three different functions: Time, service, and switch between range and trip display. Just hold the button pushed until you reach the function you want, then release it. When you reach "switch between range and trip", release the button, and you will be asked if you really mean it. Push the button once, and the display changes. Once the trip is visible, the "0.0" button resets it if you push it once.
2. When the ignition is off, the meachnism is the same, but the functions you can reach with the long press are: time and 12V battery SOC. Release the button on the latter, and you will see the state of charge of the 12V battery.

The switches on the windscreen wiper stalk are only found on cars that do not have buttons in the steering wheel. These buttons are for controlling the display of driving data and other information in the display, which is done by steering wheel buttons if present.

Thank you Preben for your response! I held the 0.0 button long enough to get to the "set clock" menu, but I didn't continue holding it to get to the other menus. Too bad the manual says nothing about this!

At least now I have the option of a trip odometer when I want one... but wow, what a non-functional way to implement this. Not only do I want to see both my e-range AND a trip at the same time, but if they can't provide that, at least give me a way to switch between them without holding a button for something like 5 seconds! Ie. press 0.0 once quickly to switch between the 2 modes, hold 0.0 for a second in trip mode to reset trip. Simple.

Anyway, add this to the list of poor engineering decisions made when adding an electric motor to a car clearly designed originally without it :)

Yes, thanks Preben, for detailing on how to access the trip odometer.

In the manual, the only pages that I could find a reference to a trip odometer, were 18-20. But there was no information on how to actually access and show the trip odometer.

Doing what Preben wrote, everything worked fine. Though one time while I was playing around and pressing the 0.0 button to switch between electric range and trip odometer, one strange thing did happen. So I reset the trip odometer by pressing the 0.0 button. And it reset to 0.0 as expected, then I switched to show electric range, and it did. And then I switched back to showing the trip odometer, and it ended up displaying the miles I had gone right before I reset it by pressing 0.0. And when I continued driving, it kept going from there. I did all the above actions back-to-back, so I'm not sure if that may have affected the functionality.

Anyway, it's nice to know where the trip odometer is now.

TTT

Wow, I totally wrote off the "0.0" button. I didn't think it did anything till I ran into this thread. Good info. I have mine setup for trip odometer which should have been the default instead of range IMO.

I agree that it is poorly designed. It seems to me that there should be room on the display for both range and trip. The only way to get them on the same screen is to select the trip odometer, and then using the buttons on the steering wheel, select Range for the main part of the screen.

I've started just using the battery level gauge to estimate how far I can go. It's conveniently divided into eights. Total range is approx 80mi so for each 1/8th I estimate I can go approx 10mi.

tdkman2 said:
Yes, thanks Preben, for detailing on how to access the trip odometer.

In the manual, the only pages that I could find a reference to a trip odometer, were 18-20. But there was no information on how to actually access and show the trip odometer.

Doing what Preben wrote, everything worked fine. Though one time while I was playing around and pressing the 0.0 button to switch between electric range and trip odometer, one strange thing did happen. So I reset the trip odometer by pressing the 0.0 button. And it reset to 0.0 as expected, then I switched to show electric range, and it did. And then I switched back to showing the trip odometer, and it ended up displaying the miles I had gone right before I reset it by pressing 0.0. And when I continued driving, it kept going from there. I did all the above actions back-to-back, so I'm not sure if that may have affected the functionality.

Anyway, it's nice to know where the trip odometer is now.

That is how it functions. If you hold the button it will zero out and if you continue to hold you will see it revert to your ODO mileage then change function to time or battery charge...

Preben said:
2. When the ignition is off, the meachnism is the same, but the functions you can reach with the long press are: time and 12V battery SOC. Release the button on the latter, and you will see the state of charge of the 12V battery.

I tried this several times this morning, before and after driving to work and each time the result was "SOC ---%"
Any ideas?

Back