What’s best for the car (2 charging options)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deschodt

I’m thinking I may keep my 2nd egolf at lease end because it’s so much better than my 2016 was, so I’d like to be “nicer” to it (1.5y to go). My 45 mi commute requires a charge every 2 days - to account for possible detours or urgent trips - if at 100% charge.

I heard that it’s best for the battery pack to not fully charge it. In my case if the car is not at 100% then I’d have to recharge it daily because I’d be too close on day 2 (any detour or unexpected trip and I’m screwed).

What’s best ?
1- charge 100% 2 to 3x a week max
2- charge at 70%-80% daily (5x week)

Not sure if it’s the actual recharge or the level of it that’s worse for the pack? Does anybody more versed than me in battery packs know ?

You'll find various theories and protocols around this. What I think is more important is to avoid fully depleting the battery, or over-use of DC fast charging. It's widely reported that even when the battery is showing as 100% full, there's still a buffer, by design, to preserve battery health. Considering the range of the car, VW had to expect that many people would be charging it daily. My approach is to let it run down to around 30-50 miles of range, and then charge it (which would be a couple times per week or so). I also top it off whenever I think I might need the miles, but I don't obsessively keep it topped off. Bottom line is that I don't think you need to worry about it either way you go.

Back