Bosch Icon wiper blades?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly

Has anyone used Bosch Icon wiper blades? I just bought some for my 2017 eGolf, but they don't fit.

Bosch says the 2017 eGolf uses their Icon 18OE and 26OE blades, but the ones I bought will not slide and snap into place. The problem seems to be that the Bosch installation video indicates that the inside dimension of the end of the wiper arm should be 19mm, but mine measures 19mm at its outside dimension. The inside dimension is about 15mm.

Thanks for any help.

Not sure if these are Bosch Icon blades, but I bought Bosch 5G1998002 wiper blade set and they work just fine for about half the price of the VW blades.

f1geek said:
<span>Not sure if these are <a href="http://www.myelectriccarforums.com/electric-vehicle-charger/" class="interlinkr" target="_blank">Bosch<span class="tip">Compare EVSE equipment</span></a> Icon blades, but I bought Bosch 5G1998002 wiper blade set and they work just fine for about half the price of the VW blades.</span>

Yes to this - bought mine from FCP Euro. From reading around these which are called "AeroTwin" are basically Icons but with a different name for German OE. These blades are fantastic and way cheaper than the Genuine VW blades.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-wiper-blade-set-bosch-5g1998002

For 2015 eGolf, Correct. I bought the ICON 260E & 180E for the front, and A282H for the rear. My ICONs came with 4 different adapters or attachments. Use adapter/attachment #4.

TommyBoy said:
For 2015 eGolf, Correct. I bought the ICON 260E & 180E for the front, and A282H for the rear. My ICONs came with 4 different adapters or attachments. Use adapter/attachment #4.

Thanks, I think you've explained the problem—there was only a single adapter with both the 26OE and 18OE that I bought. It was already installed on the wiper. The package has instructional diagrams for three different styles of wiper-arm ends. For one style of end, you leave the installed adapter in place and mount the wiper. For the other two styles of wiper-arm ends you remove the installed adapter and install the wiper with no adapter. There is no indication on the package that any other adapters are available.

Why would they sell these with two different types of packaging?

The package may have been returned. I have found that return packages frequently do not include all the parts because someone that received it back doesn't know the parts are missing.

As I explained, the package that I bought has instructions for installation on three types of washer arms, and the instructions match the contents of the package. You made a reference to adapter #4. None of the instructions I got illustrate the use of an adapter, much less four of them. The instructions only mention the single adapter that came mounted on the wiper blade in the package.

The instructions on both the 18OE and 26OE packages were completely consistent with the contents of the package. From your description of what you bought, your instructions talked about four different adapters. If my instructions had indicated there were four adapters, I would have realized there was something wrong. It seems clear that Bosch have packaged these wipers two different ways under the same part number.

I even returned to my store and looked at the other18OE and 26OE packages on the rack. They were unopened and were identical to mine, including the instructions, and I can see through the clear plastic that there are no additional adapters in the package.

TommyBoy said:

Thanks to your reply I was able to solve this. I went to O'Reilly Auto Parts today and found the Bosch Icon wipers that include the full set of adapters. For some crazy reason, Bosch has sold these wipers packaged two different ways. Even stranger, it seems that the first ones that I bought, without the adapters, may possibly be the newer packaging. Both versions of the packaging can still be found on the market today.

Here's an example of the correct Icon 18OE for the e-Golf, with adapters:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/275031600177?epid=179588264&hash=item4009292c31:g:Z5sAAOSwFlZhlVhX
and this is the one without adapters:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184779259917?epid=179588264&hash=item2b05b3c00d:g:8CYAAOSwH5Zgfhwe

The Bosch part number for the correct one is 3397013015, and the UPC is 77212 15222 3. Both the part number and the UPC for the one without the necessary adapter are different, even though the packaging for both says Bosch Icon 18OE.

All of the above also applies to the Bosch Icon 26OE, but the numbers are obviously different.

In regards to which is newer, the packaging for the one with the adapters shows a copyright date of 2014, while the one without the adapters shows a copyright date of 2016. Does this indicate that they originally included all the adapters, but then eliminated them? I'm not sure.

Back