Winter driving impressions - First snow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spare

When I was researching the car I didn't find a ton of info about winter driving so I thought I would add my first impressions. We had our first snowfall of the year yesterday so I had the opportunity to check a few things out.

Tires - The standard all-season low rolling resistance tires are not suited for even a small amount of snow. In comparison to other standard all-season there performance left a lot to be desired. If you live in a winter climate I would say snow tires are required with this car due to the stock tire selection. I had planned to get winter tires but I wanted the opportunity to at least try the all-season tires.

Heat - The heated windshield, heated seats etc all worked great and I enjoyed coming down to a pre-heated car at work before braving the elements. Yes, there was a noticeable decrease in KM's with everything on but since my commute is only 10KM I was not overly concerned. At this point I am not sure when the heat pump is active or not so I can't really comment. Note: all Canadian spec cars come with the heat pump and heated seats standard.

Wipers - The intermittent/rain sensing feature did a good job of speeding up the wipers when sitting at a light and slowing down once moving and snow blowing over the car. One thing I need to read up on is that the wipers sit so low between the windshield and the hood that you cannot lift them up very far to clean the windshield with brush or knock any accumulation off. You really shouldn't try as the wiper arms hits the hood. I had an old Audi A4 that had a menu item in the MMI to raise the wipers from the cowl due to this issue. i haven't tried shutting the car off in mid wipe (old school way) to see if they would stop. My guess is VW has programmed them to return to the base but I will check later.

DAP - I hadn't considered this one at all but it was certainly an annoyance. I have the parking feature set to automatic so anytime you are moving slowly it comes on by itself. There was snow sticking to the front bumper so anytime I was driving slowly (which was most of the time) the sensor kept triggering in the front. I wasn't going to dig through the menus to disable at that point so I just quickly did it using the button by the shifter -- but this is just temporary. Anyways, I hit that button a number of times on the way home! VW might want to think about updating the software so if someone disables it 5 or times in a span of 5 minutes to ask them if they want to disable until the car is turned off.

Braking - I really enjoyed using the D3 regen mode to slow down rather then use the physical brakes which can cause skidding etc. in the snow. With the snow resistance and D3, I almost didn't need to use the brakes at all. I may experiment with the B full regen mode tonight.

Any other questions let me know.

Edit: to include braking info and fix a typo

There is a special procedure to get the wipers to stop about 30% up from the parked position. It's in the manual but I can't remember it off the top of my head.

Beware of using the higher D modes and especially the B mode in the snow. If the traction control detects wheel slippage while regenerating, it has no choice but to reduce the regen so that the tires can regain traction. This can be quite alarming and it feels like the car is accelerating when it is actually just coasting. If your foot is over the accelerator instead of the brake pedal, it will take additional time for your foot to reach the brake and control the speed of the car. It is far safer to use the regen on the top of the brake pedal because if the regen is reduced, the car, or you, can add in the friction brakes on all 4 wheels very quickly. Only the front wheels provide any regenerative braking effect.

As far as slowing down is concerned - the Golf is a FWD car. Regen will, therefore, increase the rolling resistance of the two front wheels, as opposed to using the brakes which act on all four wheels. The chance of inducing a slip (which the electronic elfs then quickly deal with) is greater when only two wheels are employed.

Thank you for your insights about the first winter experience. I am also curious what the range looks like when temps drop to -20 C or so! I am definitely going to but winter tires on mine.

There is a setting for the wipers (in the CAR menu in my Touareg) that lifts them to the "service position" for cleaning or blade change.

we've found our 15 SEL typically drops 10-15% in range in the winter using the defroster/heater sparingly. We do have General Altimax Arctic studded winter tires. Heated seats and heated gloves work well.

Our first year we used B mode but found an excessive buildup of rust on our rear rotors. We now just use the normal mode and charge to 100%.

I have to say our 15 Passat SEL, same tire type, has better traction in the snow. My guess is the extra weight over the drive wheels. Braking is equally good with both cars.

Just an update...

Wipers - To get the wipers into the service position you need to do the following.... Turn car off, turn car on, turn car off quickly. Pull wiper stalk down. The wipers will then go all the way to top of the sweep. Pull the wiper stalk down again for them to return to the rest position. There isn't a way to do this via the touchscreen, which seems like an oversight.

Range - From a full charge I haven't see anything better then 160km on the range meter since the weather went below freezing. This is with all heating off, once the heating goes on this drops down to 130km. That being said, I haven't actually drove that far on a single charge to prove it. So it could be longer or shorter.

The heat pump in my 2017 e-Golf makes a loud noise, I can definitely tell when it comes on. Is yours silent? I'm also in Canada.

I noticed a big drop in the range the other day. When I got to the local ski area after driving there in a moderate snow event the wheel wells were packed solid with snow/slush. I used my ski pole to remove a lot of it and discovered a decent increase in range on the way home. The drag and resistance along with the low temps makes a big difference in range.

egolf39 said:
The heat pump in my 2017 e-Golf makes a loud noise, I can definitely tell when it comes on. Is yours silent? I'm also in Canada.

I have not heard anything. Where does the noise come from?

Did you guys notice any problems with your charging port being opened during charging and snow build up?

spare said:
egolf39 said:

Spare, what model eGolf do you have, the lower model doesn't have one...or does the new 2017 come with a heat pump?

forbin404 said:
spare said:
egolf39 said:

Spare, what model eGolf do you have, the lower model doesn't have one...or does the new 2017 come with a heat pump?

I believe due to cold weather, the Canadian versions all come with the heat pump, to conserve the battery range in cold weather.

2017 SE still has no heat pump. The 2017 LE model was announced with the heat pump but was axed without notice before any were made.

forbin404 said:
spare said:
egolf39 said:

In Canada there is only one model (e-Golf Comfortline) and it comes with the heat pump standard.

Back