Heated windshield

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ssaylor

I have a 2011 A3 and drove an e-Golf today an I must say, it's much nicer than the Ford Focus Electric or the 500e. The only thing I was concerned about was the heating elements in the windshield, they sure were distracting. Maybe it was just because it was an overcast day & more visible? I guess it's something you get used to? Interested to know if any owners out there have comments on this.
Thanks in advance.
Scott

Did not notice it until it became overcast.
Yeah, it's there, but have gotten used to it for the most part.

I noticed it, but it didn't bother me until night time. It doesn't seem worth the visual distraction to have a heated windshield. I'm surprised there's not more complaining on here about it.

ELECTROMAN said:
It doesn't seem worth the visual distraction to have a heated windshield. I'm surprised there's not more complaining on here about it.

I've never really noticed the lines that much myself. And when I have, it doesn't bug me because I just think of the many mornings last winter when I came out to my e-Golf, and the icy/snowy windshield had been perfectly defrosted/de-iced for me by those little lines.

Those who never get snow or ice on their windshields might consider it to be an annoying feature, but those of us in more wintry climates might consider it to be a good trade-off to have a few nearly invisible lines on the windshield in exchange for not having to scrape the windshield in the winter (and to be able to set it on a timer to be ready at a certain time every day).

Noticeable but we got used to it and don't find it bothersome. It is the most energy efficient way to quickly defrost the windshield so I am willing to put up with it.

While driving last night I didn't really notice it, unless I focused my eyes on the windshield. I guess it's probably not as big of a deal as I was thinking. I really love driving this car. I have a 2017 Tesla MS, so that says a lot.

Having the direct heating windshield defroster is a excellent thing. It really saves range when driving in the winter.

The next generation will have a super thin layer of silver inside the glass, so it won't have the little wires.

Back