Charging display - or is there one?? 2017/18 e-Golf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apologies in advance if this is an obvious d'oh.

The e-screens in the vehicle menu seem to contain "some" useful information for driving but I am wondering where one accesses charging information. Simple things such as...I am plugged into a Level 1 or 2 charger, what's the current voltage and amps I am charging at?
On Level 3 chargers you have a display, usually with voltage and amps, but I am sure the car monitors this info as well. Where is it shown?

I was fully expecting that the "energy flow" animation, for example, would show charging and display some pertinent facts about what is going on...does not seem that way.

All I have seen so far is a green blinking electrical plug and cord and a display of estimated time till full. That's it?

Am I missing something?

cattlerepairman said:
Apologies in advance if this is an obvious d'oh.

The e-screens in the vehicle menu seem to contain "some" useful information for driving but I am wondering where one accesses charging information. Simple things such as...I am plugged into a Level 1 or 2 charger, what's the current voltage and amps I am charging at?
On Level 3 chargers you have a display, usually with voltage and amps, but I am sure the car monitors this info as well. Where is it shown?

I was fully expecting that the "energy flow" animation, for example, would show charging and display some pertinent facts about what is going on...does not seem that way.

All I have seen so far is a green blinking electrical plug and cord and a display of estimated time till full. That's it?

Am I missing something?

Charging rate is usually on the EVSE. If you order or get a e-Motorwerks Pro 40 EVSE, it works through your WiFi at home, and will give you all of that on your smart phone or laptop. Amperes pulled, current voltage, etc. You can then see it taper down the last 10 to 15 minutes when it reaches near full charge, your current rate will drop. You can also set the max Amps you want to draw on it too, from 30 amps at 240V in the case of the models with quick charge feature, or less, on the e-Motorwerks App. I think it's powered by an Arduino chip.

Thanks for that - that is the EVSE side. Since one can limit the charging rate in e-manager, it makes sense to believe that the e-Golf itself knows how much juice it draws while charging. Is there no display to cover that info?

Just curious. Maybe the German engineers thought sat sis would be confusing to se customer and did not include it.

cattlerepairman said:
Since one can limit the charging rate in e-manager, it makes sense to believe that the e-Golf itself knows how much juice it draws while charging. Is there no display to cover that info?
From what I can tell, the only thing it gives you is the "estimated time to full" in the instrument panel, which you could theoretically use (in conjunction with the fuel gauge) to estimate the charging rate. You pretty much have to rely on the EVSE for more detail than that; for public chargers, the charging network's app will usually show you a detailed graph of charging rate over time, etc. Here's an example from the ChargePoint app: https://i.imgur.com/fiQtsZC.jpg

I learned something new.....during charging, the digital display that normally shows green recuperation and blue motor power displays battery voltage (blue) and charging amps (green) instead.

Source is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiTdfbtZWXY

At the end of the charging process, the gauge returns to "driving mode".

cattlerepairman said:
I learned something new.....during charging, the digital display that normally shows green recuperation and blue motor power displays battery voltage (blue) and charging amps (green) instead.

Source is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiTdfbtZWXY

At the end of the charging process, the gauge returns to "driving mode".

That's level 3 recharging shown

Level 2 recharging will be limited in North America to 240-246V and 30 amps, except the last 15 to 20 minutes of recharging. Voltage will hold at 240 to 246 V, but your current will drop off slowly over 10 to 15 minutes from 30 amps to zero amps.

Back