Realistic winter electricity consumption

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2017/18 e-Golf
Cooper winter tires
Daily commute: 90 km round trip, rural highway at 90-95 km/h, then either city streets with typical stop-and-go or four lane highway at 100-120 km/h

In "normal" mode and with driver side cabin heat on (because I hate driving with a winter jacket on and I like to not die at -6 or -10 C in the car) electricity consumption jumps immediately to about 45 kWh/100 km and, over the course of the drive, settles down to around 18-19.

I do not drive in any crazy manner (either way) and the guess-o-meter usually declares around 155-165 km range from full.

Fact is, unless you are willing and able to employ energy saving measures, such as eliminating cabin heat and slowing way down, winter range will be significantly shorter than what one gets in mild weather.

Assuming CarNet works the same in Canada (also assuming you're in Canada :) ), pre-warming via the app while you're still plugged in helps that initial spike in consumption.

Unfortunately, VW is not interested in offering CarNet in Canada. I do pre-heat the car while plugged into Level II at home.

15km (9 miles) left after a 70 mile trip...getting close! Temperature was -15/-16 C (3 degrees F) for most of the day.

23.7 kWh/100 km (2.6 miles per kWh)

Back