zanzabar

Re: Build Thread: Performance e-Golf

Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:51 pm

GtiToEgolf wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:04 pm

STOPPING DISTANCE and feel much worse than in the gti, although I did have some higher performance pads installed there.

-I wonder if it would be possible and make sense to put some GTI (or other, larger) brakes on the e-golf?
Before you go chasing brake solutions, first put good TIRES on it. I suspect you'll be surprised at how much of a difference it makes. 225 width tires in any decent summer or high performance all season tread are going to make a world of difference. I'm still on the stock brakes and in autocross I was mostly braking limited, but it was still the tires that gave out first before the pads did.

If that still doesn't do it for you, try better pads.

For wheels, why not go look for some GTI wheels you like? You can likely sell the e-Golf wheels locally or online for a decent amount. (maybe get up to ~$100 each)
His: 2007 Volvo V70 (185k miles)
Hers: 2019 e-Golf SE (11k miles, black, all stock)
Former: 2016 e-Golf SE (silver, lowered on H&R Sport springs, 225/55 tires on 16" Konig wheels [sold])

PeterS

Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:46 am

I upgraded to a set of 225/45-17 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season, and indeed there is a huge difference in grip and confidence compared to the OEM Bridgestone tires. A lot less wheel spin especially in the wet.

Braking: I never tried an emergency braking before/after but I guess the better grip should help.
IMO, due to EV regen-braking first before using the pads there is a slight delay before the full pad brake power is applied and that impact.

BTW: Here's a video from Auto/Motor/Sport (German magazine - video is in German) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHZpih1WzYw
In their review they complain about the poor braking distance ("Not up to current standards") and blame it mostly on the tires

Deschodt

Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:53 am

So glad that thread exists... I asked similar questions with my previous Egolf lease (2016) and was basically told to go hug a tree and that I bought the wrong car and was supposed to hypermile ;-) I am now on Egolf #2 (2019) with the same issues and wishes (but more power, noticeably more, yeah 2019)...

On my 2016 I did max performance tires (forget which brand now) in an attempt to reduce the annoying squeal when you braked lightly on a painted line, and the overall lack of grip of the ecopias.. It worked for a bit but the squeal eventually returned, albeit less loud - so I figure the squeal is a function of the transition from regen to pads and then hitting a low friction surface which throws all the braking math out the window... I lost about 10% range on performance tires only, on my mixed freeway/city commute, and also if I'm honest the car lost of it's immediate "take off" with the heavier tires. VEry noticeable despite the small difference on the initial tip in of the gas pedal.

Now with the 2019 I'd like to repeat and do better possibly. I hate the stock wheels visually, the numb turn in of the car on 16s, and the lack of grip. I've been concerned about those flimsy looking lightweight aftermarket wheels but then again relaized the car is only heavier by 300 lbs, so one 2 passengers, so shoouldn't matter.... I'd really like to not lose performance though, losing range I'm fine with but I enjoy the E-Golf take off... I was hoping your 17" experiment with a lightweight would yield positive results... Even considered 18" GTI wheels but looks like unsprung weight is an issue as 18s are substantially heavier and lighter tires cannot compensate... Tire rack has tire weights and it's a significant variatin but hard to look up (gota look at each one's specs)

Have we got all the numbers posted here in a convenient format ? Stock wheel alone, stock + ecopia ?
Your 17x8 et35 Advanti DST Storm wheel alone, plus tire ?
The other poster 16" ?

Did you guys notice range loss only ? or did you maintain the same weight per corner (wheel + tire) and therefore presumably maintain the same acceleration (or, egads, improve?) ?
Cost of said combo ?

zanzabar

Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:25 pm

Deschodt wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:53 am
Did you guys notice range loss only ? or did you maintain the same weight per corner (wheel + tire) and therefore presumably maintain the same acceleration (or, egads, improve?) ?
Cost of said combo ?
Range loss: not perceptible (city driving mostly) but probably some, on the highway maybe 5%. Acceleration improvement is VERY perceptible. Cornering and braking improvement is absolutely massive!

But like you said, you need to check the weight of every possibly wheel AND TIRE combination you are interested and try to select one that's as light as possible, though there may be a downside of decreased strength in wheels along with extra lightness. There is quite a lot of variation in tire weight too, so don't disregard those potential couple pounds.

In general a 16" wheel is going to be lighter than a 17", which is lighter than 18" so I highly recommend staying with the smaller rims. You will NOT lose cornering ability with a 16 vs a 17 or 18, not sure where that misconception comes from. The larger wheels are for LOOKS ONLY, not performance gains. In addition, two wheels that weigh exactly the same but one is 16" and the other 17", the 16 will still be more efficient on a car because the moment of inertia is smaller due to the weight being at a shorter radius from the axis of rotation.

I don't remember what the combo I went with (Konig Runlight 16" and Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 tires) ended up weighing compared to the OE rims and Bridgestones, I think it was nearly identical. Total cost for wheels and tires mounted was I think just under $1000.
His: 2007 Volvo V70 (185k miles)
Hers: 2019 e-Golf SE (11k miles, black, all stock)
Former: 2016 e-Golf SE (silver, lowered on H&R Sport springs, 225/55 tires on 16" Konig wheels [sold])

Jerkstore

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:47 pm

Love this thread and hope to contribute soon. I recently picked up a 2019 se, and come from more of a performance car background. I’ve only had the car a couple weeks, but I’ve already got the golf r spare tire kit, as well as 3 new car seats to fit across the back. Hopefully the extra weight doesn’t slow me down too much...but I plan to add new lightweight wheels and performance all seasons as well as a new homelink autodim mirror. Also going with the H&R springs to get rid of the wheel gap. Doubt I’ll be doing too much more than that, this has to be the best bang for the buck of any daily driver I’ve ever considered.

PeterS

Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:02 pm

For my rim/tire combo, the weight is (according to DTD's website) Rims König Interflow are 21.56 lbs and the tires (Goodyear F1 Eagle AS) are 24 lbs.
Haven't measured it however. Cost mounted and shipped (with tax) was (after a 60 rebate) was ~$1000.

Efficiency/Range impact: It's hard to tell for my commute since there is a big difference in traffic and average speed, plus it is getting colder (heater). I think I was at 4.2miles/kWh and now it is down 4.0. I also added a hitch (~50lbs) which may have some impact too.

jedcul

Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:45 pm

These might make a nice lightweight choice at around 16 lbs for a 17"
Note that price shown is Canadian dollars.

https://www.fastwheels.ca/productinfo.a ... tline_s_pp

JoulesThief

Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:11 pm

jedcul wrote:

Note that price shown is Canadian Loonies.

Fixed that for you.
2015 e-Golf SEL
2015 Passat TDI SEL
2014 Touareg TDI LUX

Full spectrum VW owner, life is too short to wait to drive for a recharge.

mpulsiv

Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:30 pm

jedcul wrote:
These might make a nice lightweight choice at around 16 lbs for a 17"
Note that price shown is Canadian dollars.

That's pretty light www.fastwheels.ca/productinfo.aspx?wn=fc04&fn=titanium
17" is an ideal size for Golf. Lighter and as wide as 18" https://tiresize.com/calculator
17" = 225/45/17
18" = 225/40/18

I found a good deal on 18" Cadiz wheel that came of Golf R :)
VW CEO: “Anything Tesla Can Do, We Can Surpass”
Take your foot off the pedal when shift modes (e.g. D1, D2, D3, B) due delay in re-calibration.
Weight distribution: F = 54%, R = 46%
Spring rates: F = 135 lbs/in, R = 215 lbs/in
0.27 Cd (drag coefficient)

Fredness

Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:44 pm

...and here I thought it was just me! :D

I plan on the same, starting stock and replacing items as they wear/break with lighter/better pieces.
Looking at SCCA Autocross, limiting my rims to a 17x7 max.

Seats are high on the list, I can't stay planted in these on my daily commute! ;)
Going with dedicated 200 Traction race tires 225/45-17ish, keeping the pizza cutters and LRR tires for my commute.
I'm looking to hypermile AND track!
Thanks for this thread!

Return to “General / Main e-Golf Owners Forum”