Expected tire life on an e-Golf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhumroo

When I drove a 2015 LEAF, the tires had to be replaced at around 12K miles. I was told because of the battery weight and since the car has softer comfort tires, they wear out quicker than tires on ICE vehicles.

Is this also the case on e-Golfs? What is he expected tire life on an e-Golf?

Thanks

I have 38K miles on my OEM tires -- 2015 SEL. I have rotated the tires once. Will need to replace all four by year end after 5 years.

We bought our 2015 SEL used with a little over 30k miles. The car came with the original Contis in back and some new Fuzions in front. (Fronts most likely put on by previous lessee at turn in, or the VW dealer we bought the car from.)

Fast forward to today. We are closing in on 51k miles and shopping for tires now before winter. Full disclosure, we never rotated over the past ~20k miles because I figured, why, I'll be getting a new set of four as soon as the Contis wore out. The front Zuzions are probably 75%+ gone and the rear Contis are just about to the wear bars (but still not quite!).

So, like all things, it depends. Get good quality (and long wearing version) tires and take reasonable care of them and you will probably see 50k+ from a set.

I'm probably going to get either Michelin Premier AS or Crossclimate + from Costco while the sale is on this month.

24.5 k miles on mine, today... Bought it 4 years ago. 8/32" on the front and a little over 8/32" on the rear. Never rotated. Drive it nice and gentle, they'll last a long time. Drive for fun, and you can cut that in 1/2 or down to 1/3 the life. Depends on if you want to be the tortoise, or be the hare, in your driving habits. Wanna play, gotta pay.

Thank you all for your replies. I feel better knowing the OEM tires have a life of 30-50K miles. Much better than my old LEAF which we were quite gentle with, given that it was leased, but the general consensus on the Nissan forums was that their OEM tires didn’t last very long, which was confirmed by the dealer as well.

Follow up question. Do the tires on the e-Golf need to be rotated back to front, or are the rotated diagonally across like old ICE cars?

I'll probably rotate my tires when the fronts get down to 6/32". The rears will most likely by then be at somewhere between 7 and 8/32". Probably replace them when down to 3/32" since I don't drive much in the rain at all. Too many idiots here in So CA on our roads, that don't slow down when it rains, causing all kinds of accidents.

Jhumroo said:
Follow up question. Do the tires on the e-Golf need to be rotated back to front, or are the rotated diagonally across like old ICE cars?

Depends on the tire mfg. recommendations. There are some Cooper tires that cross rotation is recommended, but most brands/models are front to rear since a lot of modern tread patterns are directional.

msvphoto said:
Jhumroo said:

Depends on the tire mfg. recommendations. There are some Cooper tires that cross rotation is recommended, but most brands/models are front to rear since a lot of modern tread patterns are directional.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I know back 15-20 years ago it was cross rotation, but more recently all my cars have needed front to rear.

I had a 2016 SE and had 32k miles on the OEM tires before I traded it for a 2019. The tires were still in good shape, except the traction which were not good from the beginning. I live in northern California, during rainy seasons, the tires lose traction very easily starting from a dead stop.

I also have a Model 3, I am about to change the first set of tires after 20k miles.

TwoCarsAWeek said:
I had a 2016 SE and had 32k miles on the OEM tires before I traded it for a 2019. The tires were still in good shape, except the traction which were not good from the beginning. I live in northern California, during rainy seasons, the tires lose traction very easily starting from a dead stop.

I also have a Model 3, I am about to change the first set of tires after 20k miles.

Good to know the original tires on the 2016 SE are decent quality. I had to change tires on the LEAF after 12K miles; the dealer acknowledged that the tires on that vehicle did not have a long life. I was not happy.

Jhumroo said:
When I drove a 2015 LEAF, the tires had to be replaced at around 12K miles. I was told because of the battery weight and since the car has softer comfort tires, they wear out quicker than tires on ICE vehicles.

Thanks

Mine lasted about 42k miles

DasCC said:
Jhumroo said:

Thanks

That's pretty awesome! Was there anything specific you did to make your tires last that long? How often did you check the air and rotate the tires?

Thanks

Jhumroo said:
DasCC said:
Jhumroo said:

Thanks

That's pretty awesome! Was there anything specific you did to make your tires last that long? How often did you check the air and rotate the tires?

Thanks

honestly no... the car is the wife's and she's a pretty conservative driver. Only rotated every 10k (I normally do 5K intervals but got lazy this time around) and topped off air during those inspections or if the TPMS triggered a warning. I do keep the tire pressure around 5 psi higher than the door jamb.

DasCC said:
Jhumroo said:
DasCC said:

Thanks

honestly no... the car is the wife's and she's a pretty conservative driver. Only rotated every 10k (I normally do 5K intervals but got lazy this time around) and topped off air during those inspections or if the TPMS triggered a warning. I do keep the tire pressure around 5 psi higher than the door jamb.

Thanks for the info. I'll try to keep the PSI higher as well. Regarding TPMS warning, this car doesn't show the tire pressures, so do you fill when the low light comes on, isn't that supposed to be an imminent failure warning?

Jhumroo said:
DasCC said:
Jhumroo said:

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I'll try to keep the PSI higher as well. Regarding TPMS warning, this car doesn't show the tire pressures, so do you fill when the low light comes on, isn't that supposed to be an imminent failure warning?
Read your owners manual.

These tires lose air. You don't wait for the indicator on the dash to tell you to check your tire pressure. You are expected to check and verify it every month or two. Its part of the responsibility of having a drivers license, maintain your equipment so that you are safe to everyone else on the road, too. Repeat, tires lose air pressure, it's up to you to maintain that air pressure.

I set mine at 45 psi cold, no driving, first thing in the morning. I might get 2 months before I need to add air pressure again. Just the nature of the beast. Cars are not maintenance free, but they are damn easy compared to owning an airplane.

JoulesThief said:
Jhumroo said:
DasCC said:

Read your owners manual.

These tires lose air. You don't wait for the indicator on the dash to tell you to check your tire pressure. You are expected to check and verify it every month or two. Its part of the responsibility of having a drivers license, maintain your equipment so that you are safe to everyone else on the road, too. Repeat, tires lose air pressure, it's up to you to maintain that air pressure.

I set mine at 45 psi cold, no driving, first thing in the morning. I might get 2 months before I need to add air pressure again. Just the nature of the beast. Cars are not maintenance free, but they are damn easy compared to owning an airplane.

Thank you for putting it so eloquently and reminding me that cars are not maintenance-free. My questions were directed at the previous poster who was kind enough to share some helpful information. Did you even consider that used cars may not come with Owners Manual?

I have one experience with the low tire pressure warning - it was when there was a screw embedded in the tire tread and the tire pressure was in the 20 psig range. I had the tire repaired and have otherwise never seen the low pressure light. I don't know how low the pressure needs to be to trigger the warning, but I suspect it is low enough that extended driving (say, for 5000 miles) may not cause safety issues but may lead to poor tire wear. I try to check the pressure every month or so to keep it 1 psig above the recommended pressure (I check it first thing in the morning before any driving puts heat into the tires).

Back