CarNet issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Random issues this morning on the web portal.

Besides my 4072 miles remaining, every refresh of the page will pull up a random egolf from anywhere.

Yep. They had a maintenance window this weekend, according to my email, and I suspect they are still having issues. My sons E-golf didn't charge overnight and he wasn't able to check remotely the charging process, and I still can't log into the app. I can now log into the website and get random success, but definitely funkiness going on.

I called in to carnet this afternoon. I let them know that their update had given me access to random VWs and was able to locate them and unlock them. It looks like they've now disabled logins.

Love my car, but it's pretty shocking how badly this upgrade is being rolled-out to users. This really should be a free (or at least very cheap) service.

Vdrummer9 said:
Love my car, but it's pretty shocking how badly this upgrade is being rolled-out to users. This really should be a free (or at least very cheap) service.

I’d love to be proven wrong, but somehow I highly doubt that whatever they’re changing in the system will include any upgrades for current owners. I have a feeling that we will get exactly zero new features or new info in the app or on the web site. I mean, how hard would it be for them to, say, give you some more detailed information about your battery’s health or at least SoC (like a percentage number, for instance)?

I love my car, too, but Car-Net demonstrates that VW knows very little about how to develop and roll out useful and usable consumer-grade software. I was in a friend’s Tesla a couple of weeks ago, and I’d estimate that Tesla is at least 5 years ahead of VW (and probably other incumbent OEMs, too) on the software side of things. (Source: I’ve been in the software industry for 22 years)

manybees, I’m afraid you’re correct. I agree it should be easy to get more information on battery health, temperature, etc...

From all I've read about CarNet, I have zero interest - especially given the price. But as a previous poster noted, I'd love the ability to do basic things like check range, preheat, etc, via app. With my car at home in the garage, I should be able to do this (for free) over wifi. I could see a paid option (but at a much lower monthly fee) that would also enable this over a cell connection. I'd probably go for that, too.

Still cant log into it, but the carnet home page shows that MY20 cars have 5 years included.

I was able to log in once over the past 3 days since they started the update on Sunday. It looks like no new features were added and sigh in is even worse. Before I could use fingerprint instead of pin on my android device, but now you have to log in every time on the app which then takes you to a Web page were you have to put in your pin.

Login issues aside this service is useful but incredibly slow and unreliable. Thankfully I got it free with my 2019, I can't imagine how they get people to pay for it.

eetree said:
I can't imagine how they get people to pay for it.

If you live in a place that gets real winter weather, the ability to remotely heat the cabin and defrost the windshield via Car-Net before you actually go out to the car on a morning when the high temp will be 15 degrees F is worth it's weight in snow.

eetree said:
I was able to log in once over the past 3 days since they started the update on Sunday. It looks like no new features were added and sigh in is even worse. Before I could use fingerprint instead of pin on my android device, but now you have to log in every time on the app which then takes you to a Web page were you have to put in your pin.

Login issues aside this service is useful but incredibly slow and unreliable. Thankfully I got it free with my 2019, I can't imagine how they get people to pay for it.

This is more less the same for me. "Old" version of the app (called VW Car-Net Security and Service) has not worked since Sunday. Neither was the web based portal. I tried the web portal just now and was able to log in and things appear to work ok (the location of my car is off by few hundred feet but I can live with that). As for the app, I finally attempted to update the version from the Play store (I'm on Android). After running the updated version, I got a prompt to ... install a brand new app called Volkswagen Car-Net. When opened, I can log in but the app sends me to the web-based portal on my phone. So here is that... Let's hope they fix it soon. I am in a free trial period and have absolutely no plans to pay monthly for the service but it was (sort of nice) to check a few things on your phone while it was working.

The web portal finally works for me this morning but not the iOS app. It kept telling me I need to upgrade to the latest, but I already have the latest!
A car company trying to pretend they can do software...

New Android app finally working - but basically redirects to the webpage as stated before. You have to log in after a period of inactivity and then provide pin on webpage. Interestingly I can not get the webpage to work on my computer. It just hangs on add vehicle page once I put in my account and pin.

Happy to report there are some new features! Single digit percentage for battery status and editing schedules directly! Interface is a little cleaner, load times and status updates seem a bit faster, but YMMV.

the web interface worked for me today. Interestingly, it said "Volkswagen ID" at the top of several pages. ID.4 or ID.3 AND ID.4? I think the latter. The iPhone app does not work - a splash screen says to upgrade to the latest version, even though I just installed yesterday's updated app. VW will eventually get their act together, though it may take months.

OK, all seems to be working now. Both android app and web interface.

Trip data is now available - both distance and consumption!

f1geek said:
the web interface worked for me today. Interestingly, it said "Volkswagen ID" at the top of several pages. ID.4 or ID.3 AND ID.4? I think the latter. The iPhone app does not work - a splash screen says to upgrade to the latest version, even though I just installed yesterday's updated app. VW will eventually get their act together, though it may take months.

Web interface is working pretty much as before, though with a kludgier login process. No new functionality that I can find anywhere, though.

The old iPhone Car-Net app is completely non-functional. It pops up a dialog box saying to install the brand new VW Car-Net app and offers a button to download it from the Apple App Store. When you tap the button it takes you to the App Store, where another dialog box pops up and very helpfully tells you that this App is not available in your country or region.

Sigh... it'll only take months if we're lucky, @f1geek.

The Android "new app" sort of works now, but it just redirects to the web version in a browser (so mostly worthless since I know how to use a web browser).

New Carnet IOS app now download for USA as of this morning. Seems similar, maybe faster. But, I think they removed the minimum charge option, the one where you can say to always start charging if the battery is below x%. This was very useful with timed charging. Am I confused? If not why would they do this?

I installed the new app this morning and it worked. Now, I get the message " You could not be signed in at this time. Please try again." Seems to have good reliability. :)

The new app requires sign in via the website (same as web login, with the VW ID wording )- I don't write computer programs, but it seems to me if you create an app for the phone, why do you have the sign on redirected to a website? Seems stupid if you ask me. Also, the web - based website login works fine while the app can't log in - again, stupid. The new app does not show battery pack SoC, but instead shows nearly useless bars, and this afternoon, before the app stopped working, it showed the range as 128 miles (correct), with three bars showing (incorrect - the car has 76% SoC). Clearly the programmers at VW forgot to perform testing.

Back