Help with Google Maps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had my eGolf for 3 years and, during that time, I have only used the built-in SatNav in the car - with mobile phone tethered so it picks up traffic info.

However, my 3-year subscription to Car-Net has expired and I do not want to pay the £70 VW want - especially as I hope to not keep car for another 12 months! I am pretty sure this means that I have lost access to internet traffic info and it is now just showing the, less accurate, RDC-based stuff.

So, I thought that running Google Maps, on my Android mobile, and displaying that on the car's screen might be a way to go. I can see from the manual that all sorts of connections and apps are possible, but, it is not clear top me what can/can't be done and how to do things!

Maybe someone can help answer some basic questions and put me on the right track.....

Can I display Google Maps navigation on the car's screen?
What do I need to run on the car to do this?
What do I need to run on my mobile phone to do this?
Does the phone have to be connected via USB cable or will it work over Bluetooth?
Any help/advice would be most welcome - thanks!

It depends on which model year you have. It may be different in your country (since you mentioned pound sterling), but in the US only the 2016+ models have Android Auto/Apple Carplay/MirrorLink functionality that you're describing. If you have a 2015 model, then you're out of luck.

I am using Google Maps only - I have never used the built-in maps. I used Google Maps with my first eGolf (2016 SEL) and now also with my 2nd (2019 SEL Premium). I connect my Android phone with a USB cable - Bluetooth does not work for this. You need to have Android Auto installed on your phone. I vaguely remember that the phone (or the car?) asked for permission when I connected it the first time, but this is so long ago I don't really recall. Once I have the phone connected, the car's menu shows "Android Auto" in its menu (default is some Apple app). After selecting this option, the screen in the car is controlled by the phone. I can then use the navigation system. The phone also picks up the microphone from the car and I can talk to the phone. I.e., I would say something like this: "Hey Google..... navigate home", or something like this: "Hey Google.... convert 47 miles to km", or whatever else.

I should also mention one feature of "Android Auto" which I am using quiet often.
I say: "Hey Google, read my text messages"
It would then read all my new and unread messages. After reading a message, it would ask if I want to reply.
I say: "Yes"
It would then ask for the text.
I say: "I will be home in 30 minutes"
It will repeat the text for confirmation. After I confirmed the message, it will send the message.

Now I have "texted while driving" without taking my eyes off the road and without taking my hands off the steering wheel.

wkuballa said:
I should also mention one feature of "Android Auto" which I am using quiet often.
I say: "Hey Google, read my text messages"
It would then read all my new and unread messages. After reading a message, it would ask if I want to reply.
I say: "Yes"
It would then ask for the text.
I say: "I will be home in 30 minutes"
It will repeat the text for confirmation. After I confirmed the message, it will send the message.

Now I have "texted while driving" without taking my eyes off the road and without taking my hands off the steering wheel.

You can do the same thing using Siri in Apple CarPlay, too, for those who have iPhones.

Back