Charging problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 2019 e-Golf SEL with ~1100 miles. Over the last couple months I've charged it with level 1, 2, and 3 chargers with no problems. I just had a NEMA 14-50 outlet professionally installed in my garage on a 50A circuit. I plugged in my brand new JuiceBox 40 and set it up using the app on my phone. I plug the Juicebox into the car, both charging lights come on but remain orange, no charging happens.

I have reset the infotaiment to factory defaults which wiped out my time-of-day programs. I've tried changing the max charge rate for the Juicebox. Also the supplied level 1 charger still works.

The only option I can think is to try a different brand, probably the Chargepoint.

Anyone have other ideas?

JuiceBox support is generally very helpful. You could also ask another EV owner to come by and try it to see if it works with their car.

I have the same car and charger and also experienced this when first charging with the JuiceBox. Make sure you're fully plugged-in to the charge port. You should hear a click sound. Once I tried again and got the click, I was charging successfully and no issues since.

Generally, it's not a charger problem, it's user error or operator error..
Re assess your technique when plugging in to the charge port.

Also, it helps to spray some SILICONE spray on the engagement pin on top of the port and on the outer portion of your EVSE handle to improve ease of insertion.
Do not substitute other oily spray lubes for silicone, they will attract dirt and dust and make matters much worse.

I have the same configuration (2019 eGolf SEL, JuiceBox). I programmed the JuiceBox to charge between 23:00 and 07:00 (on weekdays). When I plug in the car outside the charging window, both orange LEDs come on, but no charging takes place. The LEDs turn off after a while. When the charging starts, the green LED turns on. If your car is not charging when you expect it, you may need to check the scheduled charging times in the JuiceBox app. Or you can overwrite the schedule by selecting "charge now" in the app. That should change the LEDs from orange to green.

That juicebox J1772 plug looks pretty beat up to me. Is this a used charging station? Maybe there is a bad pin in the J1772 connector or some wiring problem? Did you look at the juicebox plug to see if any debris is in the way or maybe a pin looks damaged?

I ordered the Juicebox from Costco online when they were offering $50 off. There are some scratches on the handle that I can't explain, I don't know if they were already there when I received the unit via UPS. When I took it out of the box I certainly thought it was brand new.

The Smart Charging / Time of Use is off in the Juicebox app.

Anyway, I have contacted Juicebox support and passed along the videos and their response is: 'We have determined that your JuiceBox or JuiceNet device is in need of repair. We offer either a return label for replacement, or the option of an advanced replacement with a deposit."

I'll definitely be taking them up on their offer!

I love the car, BTW. :)

I have received a replacement Juicebox from the company that works well and looks great. I'll post a pic once I have it properly attached to my garage wall.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I have had continual problems with the JuiceBox ordered from Costco. Often it fails to charge. Also the charging "gun" does not easily seat in the charging port preventing a charge. I think this is a poor quality device and am sorry I bought it. I also deleted the Juicebox app and also the VW Carnet app because they did not work as expected.

okaycoral said:
I have had continual problems with the JuiceBox ordered from Costco. Often it fails to charge. Also the charging "gun" does not easily seat in the charging port preventing a charge. I think this is a poor quality device and am sorry I bought it. I also deleted the Juicebox app and also the VW Carnet app because they did not work as expected.

Sorry you are unable to get satisfactory results with your JuiceBox. I've been running mine since November of 2015 with my 2015 SEL e-Golf with zero problems.

It's rare to every hear problems about JuiceBox EVSE units, many new e-Golf owners run them successfully. Somehow, with all the problems you are having, I am suspecting its some sort of operator error, though I can't prove it.

juice.jpg

I can't say my charging experience with my new Juicebox has been perfect. I had a problem where the unit didn't follow the schedule I set for it. Also the car doesn't always start charging when I plug it in, it takes some fiddling to get it to go. This sometimes happens with the 110v charger as well.

Mainly I use the supplied 110v charger for nightly recharging (to less than 100% in the hope of maximizing battery life).

The Juicebox is for the rare times I need a quick charge at home.

Back