Charger will not release from charging port 2019 egolf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okaycoral

Help! I have spent more than an hour trying every trick I can find. This is not the first time this has happened but it is the first time I can't get it released after an hour of trying everything.

The car would not charge at home so I took it to a public charging station.

Lock unlock, turn on car, unlock lock. unlock at charging station. Hours spend on this. Call roadside assistance. Call the VW dealer. They say they can't tow the car so I am out of lock. The car will just have to be abandonned forever at a public charging station and I will have to go buy a new car.

By the way I can't search the forum help - works like "charger" "release" etc. are not allowed.

Check this long thread:

http://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=839&hilit=charging+port+locked&start=10#p8571

It's likely that the pin locking the charging handle to the car is stuck.

First thing to try: push the handle all the way into the car, then push the yellow "immediate charge" button at the same time as you press Unlock on your key fob. Try that several times.

If that doesn't work, read that thread to see how to manually release the pin.

Thank you everyone...the tow truck driver was able to release the charging port. He kept pushing the unlock button and the other buttons and pulling hard. It was a combo on the delay charge button and the button that releases the charging door. Not easy. I am very disappointed with this problem. If I had known about it I would not have purchased this car. I am especially disappointed with the non-support from VW. It as if someone else makes the car. They wash their hands of it after purchase.

I tried the suggestions on this forum with no success.

Thanks for posting the outcome. That's a really maddening experience. If I were you, I'd still take it to the dealer for them to look at. Not sure what they'll be able to do, but the more awareness, the better. The obvious fear is wondering when it will happen again. I think some have suggested use of a silicone lubricant to help avoid this. I wish VW included the option to disable the locking. Like many others who mainly charge at home (or at a safe/known spot at work), the locking is just an inconvenience for me, even when it's working properly...

Pulling hard on the charger handle is the worst thing you can do when it's stuck.

Rather, push hard inwards on the charger handle to provide some slack and tolerance for the pin to release, while pressing locking and then unlocking buttons on the Key Fob. Keep the charge port CLEAN and dust and dirt free, and lubricate the SS locking pin every 2 or 3 months with ONLY silicone spray lube, nothing else.

This happened to me once. No combination of button presses on the car, the remote, or starting/stopping the car helped.

When that happens, get a screwdriver or pencil, etc. and push on the metal pin that you can see just above the charging port. This will mechanically override the lock and release the charging cord.

Back