"New" 2016 e-Golf owner.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pezzy669

Hey all!

Just wanted to pop in to say hello and quickly introduce myself. Just picked myself up a CPO 2016 e-Golf SE (fast charge package) for $12k and some change. New unfortunately is not an option because VW thought it only relevant to sell them in CARB states so we are at the mercy of the scraps from New England or California. We had 2 TDI dieselgate Sportwagens in our stable but my commute was not TDI friendly and I was not using it appropriately to say the least (6-7k annual miles - 2.8-3.5 mile each way commute) - so I traded my 2012 in for the e-Golf and we are keeping the 2011 as the road trip car.

Anyhow I have to say I am very pleased with the car so far. The instant and seamless torque (even coming from rapid shifting DSG) is amazing. Getting max regeneration is kind like a game for me. I am also liking the relative lack of maintenance outside of tires, brakes, brake fluid and cabin filter - and with regeneration doing most of the heavy lifting who knows when new brakes will be needed.

I do have one ? though that I could not really pinpoint in the owners manual. While using any of the recuperate modes or dropping it down to B does the car light up the brake lights at any point without touching the pedal? Reason I ask is recuperate 3 and B mode have pretty aggressive off throttle regen and I have been wondering if it gives any warnings to the folks behind.

Anyhow just wanted to pop in to say hi! Looking forward to many years of happy ownership with my first electric.

Welcome! Yes, the brake lights come on when regen deceleration is above some g force threshold (I don't know the number). To be convinced, drive your car at night in B mode, abruptly lift your right foot off the pedal, and look in the rear view mirror to see the red glow of the brake lights in your hatch window.

When I bought mine new in 2016, I had to reach out to a dealership in Maryland and had it shipped right to my house in Ohio. I bought it without ever having driven it. Bought the car entirely by a phone call! Everything in my case turned out great.

Back