Efficiency in cold vs warmer.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pezzy669

So 1 week in my used 2016 e-Golf initially I was getting a bit concerned about battery degradation - first full charge only brought GOM to 68 miles, 73 miles when plopped in Eco+ mode (mode works great in slow bumper to bumper traffic). Well first week with the car was temps in the 40's and rain and GOM was dropping spectacularly during my 2.5-3.1 mile commute where I was losing 5-8 miles.

Well I think we are finally getting into spring (Atlanta) so a quick drive yesterday and today in the mid-60's to GOM is showing I should be able to hit 85 miles on this latest charge and it keeps improving each drive I make in these temps. Should be in 50's-60's all next week during my commute so I am looking forward to getting some good range out of this charge.

Is the huge dip while cold to be expected? Should I plan on 50 miles range next winter when 20's and 30's are a thing?

If you use the heat, you will see a dip in range. Heating the cabin uses a lot of energy, especially if you don't have a heat pump in the car. You could easily see a range drop of 40% if it is really cold and you have the cabin heat cranked. If you can, pre-heat the car while plugged in so the cabin is warmed by the charging station power as opposed to battery power. Also, depending on the ambient temperature, the battery loses energy capacity at freezing or below temperatures. The e-Golf comes is not equipped with active thermal management of the battery pack, so there is no way to keep the pack in a "sweet spot" for temperature.

I would see 55-65 miles range on my old 2016 SE when it was "cold" by California standards. 80-90 when temperature was moderate and 75-85 when hot.

But no more - got a 2019 SEL with heat pump now :D

Back