Slashed Underbody Shield

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustboy

My wife ran over something on the highway and the felt shield underneath the battery got slashed pretty badly. Not sure if it’s critical to replace, if so I can’t find it on any parts websites. Don’t even know what to call it. Any advice?

B1D91720-B3A7-42FD-80CF-911F3C8D935F.jpeg880E7791-BC69-456B-8BA5-CE7A1F3BC17B.jpeg

I suspect it aids in aerodynamic efficiency as well as protection. Maybe ask a VW dealer? It is probably not very hard to replace.

Yes F1 I think you are right about aero, and I think the felt helps absorb road noise. I guess I'm more concerned about damage to the battery, if the tear is superficial I probably won't bother replacing it.

I'll put the car on ramps this weekend to see if there was any serious damage. I avoid the stealership if at all possible.

Sure, I would avoid buying parts from the dealer, too, but a dealer can probably get you the part number. I wonder if the shield also prevents water intrusion? You may just want to patch it somehow if not replace the whole thing.

Any update on this issue? I did exactly the same thing recently and mine looks just like yours. Trying to figure out what to do and who to go to or not go to for a repair. Really hoping it doesn’t void the battery warranty. Thanks!

Back