Car won't charge with charging timer enabled

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uscpsycho

One of the first things I did when I got my egolf was create a charging timer for one day a week which I set to 80% max charge. This would charge my battery up to 80% no matter when I plugged in, and that has been working like a charm for almost two years.

But the last few days it stopped working. If I plug my car in with the timer set, the car won't charge. What happens when I plug in is that the charger starts charging, but only at 0.6A and then it stops charging after about a minute.

If I disable the timer then the charger charges at 30A but will charge the battery up to 100% capacity. I have tried toggling the timer and changing the timer to different days and that didn't help.

Anyone have any idea what the heck is going on? I have not touched my car settings so I haven't made any changes that would cause this to happen.

I don’t know what happened. Have you tried rebooting the infotainment system? (Press and hold power button for about 10 seconds or until screen restarts, and then release button).

Thanks for the suggestion, I rebooted and will see if that helps.

I also noticed another weird thing. On the car, I have a few different schedules, the one that I created and have always used plus a few others. I think those were just the default ones that were always there, but I have never enabled them.

Then in the Carnet app there is a different set of timers that don't match. And then from the very same screen on the app with my timers, there is a link that says "Use the carnet web portal to create and manage custom schedules for battery charging." and if I click on this link there is yet another set of timers that don't match the first two. The link goes to https://carnet.vw.com/#/emobility Why does the app screen for managing schedules have a link to the web portal for managing schedules?

Anyway, seems weird to me that these charging timers aren't in sync. Should they all be the same? Is this possibly causing my problem? (The only schedule which is enabled is the one I have always used on my car.)

The car-net schedules and in-car schedules should match, I believe - this could be an issue. Maybe try logging out of car-net and then back in again? Or call VW to re-synchronize the account (if that is possible). I had the free three years of car-net but hardly ever paid attention to timers since it was always easier for me to set timers in the car. Once the free subscription expired, I lost car-net access. Only once since getting this car did I have a scheduling issue and that was when car-net was active. Since losing car-net access, the timers have worked fine.

I uninstalled the carnet app and reinstalled it. Then the timers were in sync between my car and the app, but that did not solve the problem.

I spent a lot of time troubleshooting and my car is behaving very differently than it used to. Before, I had one charging timer set for 80% capacity at one time of the week, and the car would automatically start charging as soon as I plugged it in, even if the timer was set for a week away.

Now this is not the case. Now it will only start charging just in time to hit 80% battery capacity at the preset time.

I don't know if the car's software has been updated or what, but I need to figure out some other way to set my car to charge to 80% capacity any time I plug it in. Right now if I have no timers set it will start charging right away but it will charge up to 100%. How can I get things back to the way I had them (with or without setting a timer)?

HELP!

I think I solved the problem. In order for what I want to happen the minimum charge level has to be set to 80% as well as having a single charge timer.

I recently took my car in for service and those knuckleheads must have altered my minimum charge setting. So I just set back to 80% and I think that will solve my problem.

I believe what was happening is that when I plugged in, my battery was above the existing minimum charge level and so it didn't start charging right away like I am accustomed to. Instead the car was waiting for that once-a-week time to come around before charging up to 80%. I won't be able to test this until I drain my battery below 80% but I think I solved this. And I'm glad I did because next step was to take it to VW and have an argument with them about my car not working right, and when it comes to stuff like this it's a fight you lose with the dealership 99% of the time. And of course I would have been wrong but those bozos shouldn't be messing with my settings!

Thanks for the help. Unless I come back with an update about it still not working, I consider this resolved.

Back