Charge plug not locking at all

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slomove

I just got the new 2016 SE drove some 300 miles and so far I am quite happy. I still need to figure out some features, though.

One thing makes me wonder is that the charge connector never locks. No matter if the car is locked or not, I can pull the charger out. I thought it was always locked when the car is locked? Or is this a new "feature" since the SE is the stripped down model (also smaller 3.6kW charger, no nav, cloth seats, halogen etc.)?

Thanks

Slomove said:
I just got the new 2016 SE drove some 300 miles and so far I am quite happy. I still need to figure out some features, though.

One thing makes me wonder is that the charge connector never locks. No matter if the car is locked or not, I can pull the charger out. I thought it was always locked when the car is locked? Or is this a new "feature" since the SE is the stripped down model (also smaller 3.6kW charger, no nav, cloth seats, halogen etc.)?

Thanks

It might be new software programming, such that it never locks. Drive it down to any nearby dealership of any brand, and see if it locks on their EVSE machine.

This is probably a blessing, that it does not lock, if you charge publically. You won't have some jackwagon trying to yank your female connection out of the car, trying to charge their own car when frantic for juice to drive home, because they planned poorly.

Folks need to remember, with an EV, you are not pulling into a parking spot, you are pulling into a fueling spot, like at a gas station. You wouldn't park your car at a gas station by the public pump and just leave it there, you move it as soon as you are finished with business, so people in line behind you don't get irate and go postal.

Yes - be thankful! The lock is very annoying, especially to those of us that have been driving EVs for years (I just picked up a 2015 e-Golf but have two other EVs). It's just an extra step every time you unplug, in addition to preventing others from legitimately unplugging you when your charge is complete (we have this problem at our workplace, where there are multiple spaces per charger, and the protocol says it is fine to unplug another car if it is done charging).

Slomove said:

Thanks

I would love to run a Ross-tech VCDS scan on your 2016, if you are in the Los Angeles area, to compare against the readout of my 2015 SEL. By doing so, I might be able to unlock the code necessary through adaptation to set anyone else up with an unlocked J1772 connector, through the change of some hexidecimal. Many e-golf owners would probably love to be able to have the option to do the same.

While the car is actively charging, press the button on the J1772 handle. If the car stops charging, then the car's programming is definitely different. As far as I can tell, the 2015 cars ignore the signal from the J1772 handle button.

JoulesThief said:
...........I would love to run a Ross-tech VCDS scan on your 2016, if you are in the Los Angeles area, to compare against the readout of my 2015 SEL. By doing so, I might be able to unlock the code necessary through adaptation to set anyone else up with an unlocked J1772 connector, through the change of some hexidecimal. Many e-golf owners would probably love to be able to have the option to do the same.
I am in Pasadena. Would not mind coming along if not too far. I don't have the equipment nor the knowledge for such a scan. Please PM your address.

miimura said:
While the car is actively charging, press the button on the J1772 handle. If the car stops charging, then the car's programming is definitely different. As far as I can tell, the 2015 cars ignore the signal from the J1772 handle button.
I will try when next time charging but If I remember correctly, the green change light goes yellow when I push the release button on the plug.

Slomove said:
JoulesThief said:
...........I would love to run a Ross-tech VCDS scan on your 2016, if you are in the Los Angeles area, to compare against the readout of my 2015 SEL. By doing so, I might be able to unlock the code necessary through adaptation to set anyone else up with an unlocked J1772 connector, through the change of some hexidecimal. Many e-golf owners would probably love to be able to have the option to do the same.
I am in Pasadena. Would not mind coming along if not too far. I don't have the equipment nor the knowledge for such a scan. Please PM your address.

miimura said:
I will try when next time charging but If I remember correctly, the green change light goes yellow when I push the release button on the plug.

I believe my green light goes to yellow, then, when I press the unlock button on my keyfob, the light goes out, altogether, and then it is possible to remove the J1772 Handle.

Let me know via PM what is good for you, for doing a VCDS scan on your 2016.

Please share results of your finding with VCDS. I also have same issue at my workplace - as soon as it's done and 5-10 min passed I have nasty note on my windshield, even though I always take it off the spot as soon as I can (5-10 min in average) after charge...

JoulesThief said:
....Let me know via PM what is good for you, for doing a VCDS scan on your 2016.

I am having a hard time getting away lately, buried in work. But if you or somebody else can come to Pasadena with a scanner, I would be happy to have it plugged into my car.

I have VCDS and a 2016 SE.

I'll get a scan tomorrow when my wife returns from work.

I wish there was some way to lock your personal EVSE to your plug. My SE doesn't lock and it'll be an issue if I take a $500 dollar EVSE on the road and walk away to use the restroom and it grows legs and walks away.

bizzle said:

I wish there was some way to lock your personal EVSE to your plug. My SE doesn't lock and it'll be an issue if I take a $500 dollar EVSE on the road and walk away to use the restroom and it grows legs and walks away.

How do you know you can't go in and set it up to lock in VCDS? The guys in PA at VCDS need to get a scan from a 2015 SEL, and a 2016 SE or SEL, and compare hexadecimal codes and see what they can find for differences in some sort of module that controls SAE J-1772 standards... because something has been coded differently, at least 2 or 3 things. Key Fob activated, lock activated, and handle and switch in charge handle when you push the button cuts off electrical handshake for charging, and current cut off, before the handle comes out and does electrical arcing.

I can go out right now if you think we can get started on something?

Give me the step by step of what you need from VCDS and my 2016 SE.

JoulesThief said:
bizzle said:

How do you know you can't go in and set it up to lock in VCDS? The guys in PA at VCDS need to get a scan from a 2015 SEL, and a 2016 SE or SEL, and compare hexadecimal codes and see what they can find for differences in some sort of module that controls SAE J-1772 standards... because something has been coded differently, at least 2 or 3 things. Key Fob activated, lock activated, and handle and switch in charge handle when you push the button cuts off electrical handshake for charging, and current cut off, before the handle comes out and does electrical arcing.
I don't understand "coding" per se, but my understanding is that the only thing you can change are parameters, like Function12345=Enable/Disable or Function5678Delay=5. The behavior of the charge port with respect to the lock and the J1772 signals sounds to me like firmware, not parameter changes. They only way I can think of off-hand would be if they have a mode that can be set to IEC or SAE. I've said it before - I believe the 2015 is programmed according to IEC protocol, not SAE J1772.

Anyway, personally, I think the risk of someone stealing an EVSE somewhere that there is a "RV socket" is pretty low. If you are really worried about that, get one that has a hole in the handle button for a small padlock, or just run over a portion of the cord, with a cord protector if necessary.

miimura said:
JoulesThief said:
bizzle said:

I don't understand "coding" per se, but my understanding is that the only thing you can change are parameters, like Function12345=Enable/Disable or Function5678Delay=5. The behavior of the charge port with respect to the lock and the J1772 signals sounds to me like firmware, not parameter changes. They only way I can think of off-hand would be if they have a mode that can be set to IEC or SAE. I've said it before - I believe the 2015 is programmed according to IEC protocol, not SAE J1772.

Anyway, personally, I think the risk of someone stealing an EVSE somewhere that there is a "RV socket" is pretty low. If you are really worried about that, get one that has a hole in the handle button for a small padlock, or just run over a portion of the cord, with a cord protector if necessary.

Another option... buy a 25 foot 10 gauge extension cord for the 12 amp 120V EVSE to plug in to. Run the extension cord through the RR window, and the charge handle through the RR window, and use the windows finger pinch protection feature, roll the window up with the EVSE inside, on a piece of wood, on the floor.

I don't think people further north in CA understand the propensity for non gringos to steal anything that isn't bolted down with copper wire on it, that close to the border of Mexico... I understand it, because I've seen it too many times, they steal anything and everything not locked or bolted down. It may not be kind, nice or politically correct to say it, but it is factual.

bizzle said:
I can go out right now if you think we can get started on something?

Give me the step by step of what you need from VCDS and my 2016 SE.

Just put the car in "on" mode, not "run" mode, and do a complete scan for errors and DTC's. When finished, press "Save" Now it will be saved somewhere in your directory under "Ross-Tec" as a file, what ever you labeled it as. Once you have that, PM me, and we can take it from there... what I will probably do is have both of us send the files, yours and mine, to Ross-Tech and let their gurus look for the Body Control Modules that need fiddling with in changing a "0" to a "1" in the bytes, or a letter, if it's 16 bit code. A computer programmer guru I am not, but thats how they've done it in the past.

Ideally, a 2016 SEL to compare to my 2015 SEL would be a better choice, all other things being equal, but we have what we have to work with right now... seems many TDI folks always end up getting the VCDS software and cable, for good diagnostic reasons, as well as for doing tweaks to body control modules for hidden gem features buried in there, like key fob activated windows dropping and sunroof opening to let the heat out, on jetta's and Passats.

I was able to activate the window key fob features in VCDS but it isn't actually doing anything when I use the fob.

When I called a tech yesterday and explained to him that mine wasn't locking, he said he would go test the ones they had on the lot. He *said* he tested a 2016 SEL and that it locked. So this might be an SE thing and not a 2015-2016 thing.

(you said in another thread not to use an extension cord...was that advice only when it's super low)?

bizzle said:
I was able to activate the window key fob features in VCDS but it isn't actually doing anything when I use the fob.

When I called a tech yesterday and explained to him that mine wasn't locking, he said he would go test the ones they had on the lot. He *said* he tested a 2016 SEL and that it locked. So this might be an SE thing and not a 2015-2016 thing.

(you said in another thread not to use an extension cord...was that advice only when it's supeon't user low)?

Don't use an extension cord, unless you can guarantee that the plugs and cord are not getting warm to the touch, in any way, shape or form... Perhaps read the instructions that come with your Delphi before operating it. You need to run heavy wire, probably 10 gauge for your extension cord, if the cord is 25 feet or longer.

bizzle said:

(you said in another thread not to use an extension cord...was that advice only when it's super low)?

See if there is some feature in the setup page that now shows up in the Body Control Module, or Convenience module on your Infotainment center, that you now need to add a check mark to , to activate?

JoulesThief said:
bizzle said:

(you said in another thread not to use an extension cord...was that advice only when it's supeon't user low)?

Don't use an extension cord, unless you can guarantee that the plugs and cord are not getting warm to the touch, in any way, shape or form... Perhaps read the instructions that come with your Delphi before operating it. You need to run heavy wire, probably 10 gauge for your extension cord, if the cord is 25 feet or longer.
Well, the directions say not to do it. I already wasn't going to use one and you posted last night not to use one.
That said, the directions are also going to minimize exposure to liability in the event that some idiot plugs their charger into a lamp cord but that may not apply to a properly sized extension cord.

I have a heavy 10 gauge cord that I brought during the road trip in case I needed it, but I hadn't planned on using it at home especially overnight.
I was just surprised that you mentioned using one.

bizzle said:
JoulesThief said:
bizzle said:

Well, the directions say not to do it. I already wasn't going to use one and you posted last night not to use one.
That said, the directions are also going to minimize exposure to liability in the event that some idiot plugs their charger into a lamp cord but that may not apply to a properly sized extension cord.

I have a heavy 10 gauge cord that I brought during the road trip in case I needed it, but I hadn't planned on using it at home especially overnight.
I was just surprised that you mentioned using one.

Caveat Emptor... I suggest only those that understand electrical theory, relationships of volts to amps to Kilowatt hours and know what happens if you draw too much current through not enough gauge copper wire, things melt, burn and self destruct. One has to know what they are doing, if they wish to bend the rules without creating liabilities to themselves or others.

Back