Safety Recall 93B4 2015-2016 e-Golf Unexpected Shutdown

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sptgolf

I was at the Encinitas Volkswagen dealer today getting my front license plate installed and 72 degree issue fixed. The service manager said there is a new safety recall for over sensitive diagnostics in the the high voltage battery management system dated March 8, 2016. The system can cause a surge that then deactivates the vehicle's electric drive motor. This can shut down the car while moving, and may explain some of the other forum posts where the vehicle shuts down while moving. He said it takes about an hour to download and install the software fix and I'm getting it done today.

Below is a link to the full safety recall letter:
http://1drv.ms/1QQ3DAn

This recall does not show up on the NHTSA site yet if you search by model. However, it does show up if you search by VIN. It appears to have just been entered in the NHTSA database today, March 10, 2016. No supporting documents are shown in the NHTSA database, which is unusual. There are usually samples of the customer letter, etc.

It also shows up on http://www.vw.com/owners-recalls/ if you enter your VIN.

This is Excellent news!!! I have been anxiously watching my mileage increase and just waiting for the dreaded stall-out. Great post, and everyone should certainly get this update prior to any unexpected vehicle system shutdowns.

sptgolf you must have a 2015 as the 72 deg issue isn't fixable in a 2016. OR SO THEY TELL ME

forbin404 said:
sptgolf you must have a 2015 as the 72 deg issue isn't fixable in a 2016. OR SO THEY TELL ME

I have a 2016 SE bought in Feb 2016. Recall 93B4 was completed today. I have to bring it back next week for TT 87-15-02 Adaption channel 5, to fix the 72 degree always on at start. Apparently a sever in Germany could not be connected to for that specific update. I will keep you updated. They did wash the car and give it a full charge which was nice.

JoulesThief said:
RonDawg said:
Appointment made.
So your VIN was on the recall?

Yes. I input it on the VW site linked to above and it told me that my car is subject to recall under VW Action Code 93B4, NHTSA Recall number 16V138. The same result appears if I input the VIN on NHTSA's website.

My understanding is that it applies to all 2015 eGolfs sold in the US, and possibly 2016's as well.

RonDawg said:
JoulesThief said:
RonDawg said:
Appointment made.
So your VIN was on the recall?

Yes. I input it on the VW site linked to above and it told me that my car is subject to recall under VW Action Code 93B4, NHTSA Recall number 16V138. The same result appears if I input the VIN on NHTSA's website.

My understanding is that it applies to all 2015/2016 eGolfs sold in the US.

Believe you are correct, I have a late May 2015 build, and my VIN is on the recall also, so that pretty much means all 2015's need the recall.

I know it's early for this recall, but has VW of America started mailing out recall notices yet? Has anyone received on yet in the mail, or via an email?

I haven't received anything in the mail yet, but I did the VIN lookup and made the appointment thereafter.

Additional thought... I just had this done, and I looked through my Settings > System Information, and didn't see anything descriptive on the software that my ECM/ECU is running.

Does anyone know how to double check the dealership's work to make certain the update is there?

SpdLmtNA said:
Additional thought... I just had this done, and I looked through my Settings > System Information, and didn't see anything descriptive on the software that my ECM/ECU is running.

Does anyone know how to double check the dealership's work to make certain the update is there?

Can't be done, on this one.

SpdLmtNA said:

I don't think any EV, except maybe Tesla, exposes firmware versions of anything but the infotainment system itself. Toyota's policy for this kind of recall order that involves software is to have the servicing dealer apply a label to the underside of the hood with the recall campaign ID or the firmware version directly, if it's not a formal recall. I don't know if VW has a similar policy.

My 2016 SE leased Oct 2015 is affected - checked VIN on the website, brought in today and had the software update done - took about 1,5 hrs.
It may get busy if all e-golfs are at risk, so best to check before the letters get mailed.

My car is at the dealership as I type this. I was going to leave it the entire day but the service writer said the update only takes about 90 minutes, so I decided to wait. I asked to have the TSB to remove the annoying 72 degrees F climate control default done as well.

FYI for others planning to bring your car in on a Saturday, check with the dealership to make sure they will have an eGolf-certified tech on duty. This dealer only has one on staff and today was supposed to be his day off, but was told to come in anyway to work on another project. If it weren't for that, I'd have to come back during the work week to get this done.

EDIT: 2+ hours after arriving at the dealership, I saw them just NOW pull my car into the service bay.

RonDawg said:
My car is at the dealership as I type this. I was going to leave it the entire day but the service writer said the update only takes about 90 minutes, so I decided to wait. I asked to have the TSB to remove the annoying 72 degrees F climate control default done as well.

FYI for others planning to bring your car in on a Saturday, check with the dealership to make sure they will have an eGolf-certified tech on duty. This dealer only has one on staff and today was supposed to be his day off, but was told to come in anyway to work on another project. If it weren't for that, I'd have to come back during the work week to get this done.

EDIT: 2+ hours after arriving at the dealership, I saw them just NOW pull my car into the service bay.

Which dealership did you go with for this TSB? The 72F is a Tech Tip, as in a TT. See my thread on it, opening up a VTR, who to talk to about it, etc.

New Century in Glendale. They did the climate control update for free. I wish I had told them to do the delayed charging TSB also. I'll do that at the next service.

RonDawg said:
New Century in Glendale. They did the climate control update for free. I wish I had told them to do the delayed charging TSB also. I'll do that at the next service.

The climate control update is free... you have to make clear to the service writer that it is not functioning correctly, it does not stay turned "Off" and that the the temperature control has a "mind of it's own." By doing so, it's malfunctioning, and covered under warranty. By mentioning the Tech Tip, and the person to speak to, you show knowledge that the problem is fixable, and by opening the VTA line, the solution is easy, and payable as warranty work. Problem solved for dealership, they are getting paid.

Back