zanzabar

Re: Driving in B mode often can cause issues?

Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:56 pm

I am suspicious of the diagnosis from the dealer. "Glazed" is a specific term, and I would bet yours just were rusty or perhaps the caliper was a little stuck and it caused some buildup on the inside surface of one rotor. I do agree with those who said they had a similar problem (high-pitched whining noise especially when backing up), and then several hard braking experiences solved it by cleaning the built up rust and etc. from the rotor surfaces. In my case the whining was eliminated by a fun day at autocross!
His: 2007 Volvo V70 (185k miles)
Hers: 2019 e-Golf SE (11k miles, black, all stock)
Former: 2016 e-Golf SE (silver, lowered on H&R Sport springs, 225/55 tires on 16" Konig wheels [sold])

DasCC

Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:37 am

treitenbach wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:39 pm
Thank you for posting the video as it enabled me to confirm we have the exact same sound. We drive almost exclusively in B mode in stop-and-go traffic where one pedal driving is a gift. The brakes are used very little and the explanation of a little rust or dust on the pads and rotors made sense.

I took a 10 minute spin with lots of brake applications and the low speed squeaking (identical to the video at the start of this thread) is gone.

I would like to add this is after a dealer visit where they replaced the bearings, strut mounts and had to realign. All thankfully under warranty.
I'll have to give this a try. Jumped in the e-Golf (primarily the wife car) and it was make a noise similar to what the OP mentioned at take off.
Current: '19 e-Golf SEL-P|'15 Passat TSI SEL-P
Past: '15 e-Golf SEL-P|'13 Tiguan SE|'15 Golf|'14 Jetta|'12 CC|'06 Passat|'06 Jetta

msvphoto

Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:01 pm

We don't use B Mode. I had all four wheels off for the first time in our ownership last Saturday. ~51k miles. The brakes (pads and rotors) looked like as if I just installed them, not over 50k miles old. No glazing or rust (and I live near the ocean), but hardly any noticeable wear either. I can see these brakes lasting to 100k or more miles easily.
2015 e-Golf SEL my wife's daily, shared on weekends
2000 BMW 540iT my daily and our range extender
1986 Audi 4000 quattro "the cockroach" my alternate daily
1983 Audi Ur Quattro "the garage queen" looks pretty and appreciates daily

mpulsiv

Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:08 pm

What's the consensus to use "B" mode on demand? Some of us come from 3 pedals and have an itch to shift :) I have been treating "B" mode like downshift. It's truly awesome.

Someone mentioned that one must take foot off the pedal when switch drive modes (e.g. D1, D2, D3, B) due delay in re-calibration. Nothing relevant was mentioned in owner's manual. For example, when I'm in "B" mode, I don't take my foot off the accelerator when I shift to "D" mode as I enter freeway.

I just found out that brake pads don't come into play until your braking demand exceeds the stopping force of the regen system. This raises the question why bother to use anything by "D" mode?
VW CEO: “Anything Tesla Can Do, We Can Surpass”
Take your foot off the pedal when shift modes (e.g. D1, D2, D3, B) due delay in re-calibration.
Weight distribution: F = 54%, R = 46%
Spring rates: F = 135 lbs/in, R = 215 lbs/in
0.27 Cd (drag coefficient)

Szyszka

Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:45 pm

mpulsiv wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:08 pm
What's the consensus to use "B" mode on demand? Some of us come from 3 pedals and have an itch to shift :) I have been treating "B" mode like downshift. It's truly awesome.

Someone mentioned that one must take foot off the pedal when switch drive modes (e.g. D1, D2, D3, B) due delay in re-calibration. Nothing relevant was mentioned in owner's manual. For example, when I'm in "B" mode, I don't take my foot off the accelerator when I shift to "D" mode as I enter freeway.

I just found out that brake pads don't come into play until your braking demand exceeds the stopping force of the regen system. This raises the question why bother to use anything by "D" mode?
Love the B mode as well and I also switch in and out it as needed.

Have not heard anything about the 'foot off the pedal' when switching between the modes.

I use D sometimes when following a car and noticing they are just a tad slower. Rather than tapping brakes, shifting to D1 or D2 allows me to slow down, maintain a safe distance, and - most importantly - not use the brakes. I imagine B would work the same except it's much more stronger and requires the use of accelerator pedal to work more/less like any of the D modes.

in2insight

Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:20 am

I drive mostly in D2, sometimes in B.
Question, when shifting from B back to D why does the shifter go to N first?
I tried to find the answer in the manual, but came up short.

mpulsiv

Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:44 am

in2insight wrote:
Interesting. How do you know that it shifts into "N"? If it does, then the purpose behind it is to re-calibrate for regen so a driver doesn't have to take the foot off the accelerator.
Take your foot off the pedal when shift modes (e.g. D1, D2, D3, B) due delay in re-calibration.

Szyszka

Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:10 pm

in2insight wrote:

Wait, how are you shifting from B to D? You're supposed to tap it backward, not forward. Are you pushing it forward and therefore into N?

JoulesThief

Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:56 am

I only shift to d1, d2 and then d3 with my foot off the accelerator.

I will usually be slowing down for a stop sign or stop light, so my foot is already covering the brake, if needed.

When I come to a complete stop, or if the light turns green, I just hold the shifter to the right side, for a full second, and it puts me right back into "D" mode.

I rarely use "B" mode. I don't find it necessary.

Timed properly, with a little bit of planning, D1, D2, and D3 are my "one foot" driving modes.
2015 e-Golf SEL
2015 Passat TDI SEL
2014 Touareg TDI LUX

Full spectrum VW owner, life is too short to wait to drive for a recharge.

mpulsiv

Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:57 am

I fail to understand why bother with regen. After all, your brake pads don't come into play until your braking demand exceeds the stopping force of the regen system. As soon as you touch the brake pedal, regen kicks in sequential order: D1 -> D2 -> D3 -> B -> your brake pads. So, why bother?

On a different note, here's the screenshot from the owner's manual. If I understand this correctly, we must take foot off the pedal when switch drive modes (e.g. D1, D2, D3, B) due delay in re-calibration. Please chime in.

Return to “Technical Discussions”