Direct Heating Windshield Defroster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an excellent feature, that is unique to the e-Golf, as far as I know. Ford and others had these way back in the 1970's and 1980's, but now it is only on the e-Golf.

We just got a 2017 SE, replacing a 2015 SEL - and the new car's defroster is much better. It melts frost and ice much more quickly and effectively. It has straighter (and thinner?) wires embedded in the glass. I think that the previous problem of light reflecting / refracting off the wires at night has been negated.

And VW has reportedly improved it again; it now uses a very thin layer of silver inside the glass (in place of the fine wires), and it is supposed to be even more effective.

I hope that all EV's will have direct heating defrosters - they save a LOT of range in the winter, because they use only a few hundred watts; rather than a few thousand. They are quicker, too.

NeilBlanchard said:
And VW has reportedly improved it again; it now uses a very thin layer of silver inside the glass (in place of the fine wires), and it is supposed to be even more effective.
Source? Is this on the 2018? Hopefully it doesn't interfere with electronic toll devices which don't work through some metallized windshields.

The black inked area both sides of rear view mirror is void of heating wires for toll tag use.

Barry

I dunno. My windshield heater works like a boss, it melts solid ice in a matter of seconds, and I never notice the little wires anymore. You do know that it doesn't turn on from the defroster button..you have to hit the icon in the touchscreen HVAC menu.

Are you saying the 2017 has the silver film?

dustboy said:
You do know that it doesn't turn on from the defroster button..you have to hit the icon in the touchscreen HVAC menu.
It's so strange that they buried the control for this feature. Why is the button even labeled "max defrost" if it doesn't activate the most efficient defrosting method available?

Right - our 2017 SE has wires, and it works much better than the 2015 SEL had. The newer version is also harder to see. The old one was only an issue visually at night.

Back