Bluetooth mutes itself without continuous audio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raghu1111

I got 2017 e-golf a month back. When I have my phone connected over bluetooth, the infotainment system mutes itself when there is no audio for something. It does not unmute when the audio starts again from the phone. This is quite annoying when you have Google maps navigation on the phone. The voice direction don't work because of this issue unless I am playing something else between the directions. I don't prefer using carplay most of the time.

Is there a work around? I didn't see any relevant options in settings.

raghu1111 said:
I got 2017 e-golf a month back. When I have my phone connected over bluetooth, the infotainment system mutes itself when there is no audio for something. It does not unmute when the audio starts again from the phone. This is quite annoying when you have Google maps navigation on the phone. The voice direction don't work because of this issue unless I am playing something else between the directions. I don't prefer using carplay most of the time.

Is there a work around? I didn't see any relevant options in settings.
Check the Google Maps settings. You can either send the navigation voice directions as bluetooth streaming or as a handsfree call. The VW audio system handles each way differently. If you don't like the way it's handling it, try the other one.

Thanks. Enabling 'over phone call' helps. It does not unmute, but we can hear the direction.

The insanity of this 'auto muting' spills into other modes too.
- First of all there is no 'unmute' button. That means I need to increase the volume each time from zero to whatever level it was at. When it is muted
- When I switch to radio from bluetooth, it still remains muted.. I need to increase the volume again from zero.

In the larger scheme of things this might look like a small issue, but leaves a bad taste of VW engineering, especially since such issues seem to remain unchanged since first e-Golf in 2015. Every car has quirks, but e-golf seem to have some peculiar ones that look like they went out of their way to make it weird (e.g. I could not believe "feature" where climate control resetting to 'Auto' each time.. at least it is fixable with a service call to dealer).

Back