What is the plastic thing in the trunk?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cove3

The only things that came in the trunk were the charging cable, a tire repair kit, and a black plastic part around 6" x 6" wide with 2 up arrows. There's a number vw 5g6 867 462 a stamped in. Anybody figured out what this is?

Ron

I think what you're referring to is the part that keeps the tire repair kit standing upright and tucked to right side of the trunk. You put the tire repair kit in that little "nook" then slide the plastic part in the grooves to keep in in place.

Thanks, that explains it. Now I know why mine was loose in the trunk. The repair kit won't fit the long way to give the clearance to slide the plastic down into the slots

Ron

The part # stamped on the piece is 5G6 867 462 A. If it was supposed to come with the car, the dealer should be able to get it. The puzzling thing is I think when I got the car, the kit was in position and I recall really having to tug at it to get it out, but now there just doesn't seem to be any way to shoehorn it back in so as to be able to slide the plastic piece into position

Ron

These photos may help. 1st one is the way mine looks, plastic piece in place, tire kit all tucked in, and trunk floor in place (not lifted up):

IMG_2398_zpse39127b5.jpg

Below shows how it looks when I lift up the floor of the trunk, there are plastic "clips" that hold it in place when you lift it up all the way:

IMG_2399_zpsbd5fd180.jpg

Below is what it looks like with the trunk floor lifted up and the plastic piece removed:

IMG_2400_zpsc1827a1b.jpg

Close up of the plastic piece. Notice that the "notch" is only on the top half. So when you slide it in, it will only "catch" and lock into place once you've pushed it more than halfway down:

IMG_2402_zps426ca45c.jpg

Finally a close-up below: with the truck floor lifted up and the plastic piece in place. Hope these help you guys, let me know if you have any questions.

IMG_2403_zps6d676f1d.jpg

Thanks. Great pics. Have you taken the tire kit out and then tried to get it back to its original position of your pics?

Try as I may, I can't shoehorn it back in position. The inflator unit at the bottom is simply wider than the opening. I remember it was a bitch to pry it out originally, and I'm thinking the factory uses a jackhammer to install it, figuring nobody could be as dumb as me to ever take it out to inspect the contents

Ron

I have took mine out once or twice and managed to get it back in. It is very difficult to get back in (as you know), but I was able to fit it. You may want to open the bag and move the contents around a bit? It is certainly poorly designed (but hopefully you don't need anything in it very often).

See the pictures below, and try and follow these steps:

1. lift the trunk floor, remove the tire kit, remove the compressor (since it's the biggest piece).
2. "aim" the side of the compressor at a 45 degree angle into the opening towards the corner of the vehicle (see 1st picture below)
3. once it's all the way in, at the 45 angle, push the other end in (now it should look like my 2nd picture below).
4. your tire kit opened up should like the 3rd picture below.
5. put everything back together, when you put the kit in, the zipper should face away from you, again, go in at a 45 degree angle. Once it's in you should NOT be able to see the zipper, in other words the zipper side of the kit should face the cubby hole.

Let me know if that works.

tire3_zps51d6162f.jpg

tire2_zpsf68459ab.jpg

tire4_zps896f982e.jpg

cove3 said:
Thanks. Great pics. Have you taken the tire kit out and then tried to get it back to its original position of your pics?

Try as I may, I can't shoehorn it back in position. The inflator unit at the bottom is simply wider than the opening. I remember it was a bitch to pry it out originally, and I'm thinking the factory uses a jackhammer to install it, figuring nobody could be as dumb as me to ever take it out to inspect the contents

Ron
Ha..! I have the same problem. I took the kit out just to see what was in there and to see what I needed to bring over from my old car, and now I can't get it back. I know in theory how it fits, and I didn't actually remove anything from the kit but it seems like the car shrunk or the kit expanded because I can't make it go back in..! :eek:
I'll try it again at the weekend but for now it's under the floor.

Success LA. Thanks to your pics and instructions, I finally got it in. Key is taking out the floor, sliding in at 45 degrees and with the chimney on the left side toward front of the car. There's virtually no clearance to allow any error

Ron

Going to have to remember this.. as most of us here.. when car was new and I had it home and in the garage, you know, have to examine everything.

My first thought,oooohhh.. whats that..

Ah, compressor and lube.. ok.

Crap, how the frack does this fit. Well, a little german engineering of pushinhard.. and it fit.

However, this past weekend, I had to take it out because I needed the wheel lock key, which is in there.

Now, I had a hell of a time to get it to fit nice and clean. When I get the car back tomorrow (hopefully) from the dealer, I will put the compressor back in properly.

Here I am, back again a year later searching for this thread because I had to use the pump and now can't figure out how to pack it away again. I have a masters degree in engineering and I can't figure it out without picutres..! :oops:
It really is a user-hostile bit of design, all in the name of saving a few pennies I'm sure. Even the way the hose and power cord are stored for the pump itself is horrible. The hose seems very prone to damage trying to get it out from under those tabs and the plug on the power cord seems too big to go back in the space. I had sworn I wouldn't bother with this pump again after using it last year, but my aftermarket one fried (and took the fuse for the 12V outlets with it) so I had no choice.

Now I'm going to print this thread and put it in the space where the kit goes for future reference, although the thickness of two sheets of paper will probably prevent it fitting..! :roll:

GadgetGav said:
Here I am, back again a year later searching for this thread because I had to use the pump and now can't figure out how to pack it away again. I have a masters degree in engineering and I can't figure it out without picutres..! :oops:
It really is a user-hostile bit of design, all in the name of saving a few pennies I'm sure. Even the way the hose and power cord are stored for the pump itself is horrible. The hose seems very prone to damage trying to get it out from under those tabs and the plug on the power cord seems too big to go back in the space. I had sworn I wouldn't bother with this pump again after using it last year, but my aftermarket one fried (and took the fuse for the 12V outlets with it) so I had no choice.

Now I'm going to print this thread and put it in the space where the kit goes for future reference, although the thickness of two sheets of paper will probably prevent it fitting..! :roll:

This gave me a chuckle! I also have a masters in engineering and am OCD enough to hate things ever being out of place... yet I have now entirely given up trying to get this thing back (neither the pump hose back in the slot, the cord back in the cubby, nor the entire thing back in it's "spot") . My life is better when I simply throw it in the trunk and pile stuff on top of it until I forget it exists :)

You need a degree in Load Master Engineering to get it to fit back in place perfectly. Zee Germans are tricky!

Back