"inspection in 30 days" warning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckdavis

I have a 2017 e-Golf with 12100 miles. I took it in for the 10,000 mile VW dealer checkup at 10,000 miles a few months ago.

Now, with a bit over 12100 miles, my instrument panel popped up with the message "inspection in 30 days." I called the dealer and they said that I could bring it in to have them reset the warning message, but that I didn't need any kind of inspection.

I don't want to take it in to the dealer for them to do this, so I read the manual and I thought all I'd have to do is turn off the vehicle, hold down the 0.0 button at the center of instrument panel, turn the vehicle on, and the message would disappear. That didn't happen, though. The message is still there when I turn on the car (and when I turn it off).

Does anyone know how to clear this message? (Today the message was "inspection in 29 days," as the original message first popped up yesterday.)

Much thanks for any suggestions..

go on vw vortex, someone there probably knows how to do it. It might need VCDS cable and software to reset.

JoulesThief needs to RTFM!

The manual clearly states:

Resetting the service reminder display
If the inspection service was not performed by an authorized Volkswagen dealer or an authorized Volkswagen Service Facility, the service reminder can be reset as follows:

Switch off the ignition.
Press and hold the 0.0 button in the instrument cluster ⇒ Instrument overview  or ⇒ Volkswagen Digital Cockpit .
Switch on the ignition.
Release the 0.0 button.
If the following message appears in the display:
Reset inspection interval?
Confirm the request by pressing the 0.0 button in the instrument cluster. A confirmation message appears in the display when the service reminder has been reset.

Do not reset the service reminder between service intervals; otherwise, incorrect information will be displayed.

f1geek said:
JoulesThief needs to RTFM!

The manual clearly states:

Resetting the service reminder display
If the inspection service was not performed by an authorized Volkswagen dealer or an authorized Volkswagen Service Facility, the service reminder can be reset as follows:

Switch off the ignition.
Press and hold the 0.0 button in the instrument cluster ⇒ Instrument overview  or ⇒ Volkswagen Digital Cockpit .
Switch on the ignition.
Release the 0.0 button.
If the following message appears in the display:
Reset inspection interval?
Confirm the request by pressing the 0.0 button in the instrument cluster. A confirmation message appears in the display when the service reminder has been reset.

Do not reset the service reminder between service intervals; otherwise, incorrect information will be displayed.

Perfect timing, Geek! I am right at 20,000 miles this week. Oddly, my idiot gauge isn't showing.

Thank you, JohnnyLingo and f1geek -- what you suggested worked. I had done the same process (as per the owner's manual) several times, but I guess I was not holding the 0.0 button long enough or maybe too long. Anyway, when I tried it again tonight the display gave me the option to reset the service interval. Thank you!

Can anyone describe what this "annual" inspection entails? If it's just general items like brake pads, tires and wiper blades I routinely do that myself.

Thanks,

You should check your car's mileage against the maintenance interval instructions, as indicated in the user's manual. Some are DIY. I think you can safely ignore the high voltage battery checks as I believe if the car drives normally and charges normally, then everything is fine with the HV charging and driving system.

I'm at 'inspection overdue' now, but I had the same question. What is the service inspection actually for? I'll go dig out the owner's manual and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks for the info on resetting the reminder!

Back