Set delayed charge to be ready at 7 AM, but it stops at 8 AM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n6ac

We have had this 2019 e-Golf for just 3 weeks. The 2016 e-Golf that we turned back seemed to operate correctly.

With the 2019's supplied level 1 charger, we used the manager to have the charge complete by 7AM.
But, It seems to keep going until 8AM.
I am wondering if there is a logic flaw that applies the Daylight Savings Time 1-hour offset to the dashboard time readout, while ignoring it for the charge manager.
Has anyone else observed this behavior? :?:

We are observing the charge timing on our Rainforest Eagle-200 device, which provides minute-by-minute house power consumption figures from the utility meter.

Also, we note that the supplied EVSE unit charges at a somewhat lower level than did the 2016 one. And has a much shorter cable. Grrr ...

n6ac said:
Also, we note that the supplied EVSE unit charges at a somewhat lower level than did the 2016 one. And has a much shorter cable. Grrr ...

Yes, the Delphi branded Level 1 chargers that came with the 15/16 would draw a max of 12 amps. The current ones draw up to 10 amps, so the new models charge slower.

I observed that our 2015 would require more time to charge than the departure schedule when using the provided L1 charging cord. I believe it is an error in calculation of the start time because the amount of time it would go over was roughly proportional to the amount of energy added to the battery.
I believe it did the same thing on L2, but since the total time was so much less, the error was much smaller in terms of minutes late.

Thanks tp both of you for the responses.
I think that miscalculation of finishing time is part of it, but then it sure started late ...
Anyway the 120V EVSE is now stored in the trunk, and we are happy with a $199 16A Level2 EVSE from Zencar (Amazon B075GJK2S9) which fits a 20A 240V receptacle we have otherwise unused in the garage And it comes with a 120V adapter cable for portable use.
It seems to be timing start and stop about right, but then we have not put many miles on yet ...

I have the same issue with model year 2019.

I tried several scenarios and settings to make it stop at 7:00 AM. I need to set it to stop at 6:00AM in order to actually stop charging before 7:00AM. Sometimes, it's a little over 7:00AM (less than 15 minutes). I am done figuring out and this is my workaround. It's just a bad software.

My guess is that it does not compensate for charging efficiency. With my calculation, it's about 70% with 10A cable that comes with a car.

Back