Scary mystery sound ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n6ac

Our 2019 e-Golf SE, about 8 weeks old, just caused some concern.
Wife was driving home from errands, stopped at mailbox near our house.
When she started up, there was a terrible scraping sound from somewhere in the front end.
Seemed more from left front wheel area. Sounded like sheet metal scraping or ripping.
Every time we drove forward. Less, but not absent, in reverse.
I backed it (150 feet) to our garage for review, with slight sound effect. Parked.
Could see nothing obvious or loose around either front wheel/suspension.
Discovered that we could get similar sound by palm-whacking the left front tire, or wheel.
Pulled lug nut covers, getting ready to dismount wheel, first decided to have her turn steering hard left for better view of brake disc and linkages.
Whoa – now it does not make that resonant scrape/flutter sound, when we whack the wheel or tire !
Turmed steering to right, look more. Again, nothing. Sound is gone.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Gravel or rock or some other debris between the brake rotor and the rotor shield? Or stone in the brake calipers that got knocked out?

Can't think of anything else.

I once had a leaf stuck in the brake caliper that was scraping on the brake disk while I drove. It made a scraping sound for miles (including on the highway). There was no noise when driving in reverse, only going forward. When I discovered the leaf and pulled it out, the sound disappeared.

eGolfJoe said:
Gravel or rock or some other debris between the brake rotor and the rotor shield? Or stone in the brake calipers that got knocked out?

Can't think of anything else.

This happened to me today. I've never had this happen to any of my cars before. I hope this isn't common to VWs. I removed the wheel to look for the problem, but all I needed to do was pull the rotor shield away from the rotor and the rock dropped to the garage floor.

Back