high pitch sound from motor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackgolf

sometimes I can hear a high pitch sound, like jet engine, during acceleration or regen, most likely coming from motor. The volume is pretty low and hard to notice.

I love that sound. If VW put in more sound insulation we may not hear it. You are listening to the sound of our automotive future. Please enjoy the sound of an AC synchronous PM motor with a single speed gearbox.

I enjoy it too. It's just loud enough to remind me that there's a cool electric motor in there, but not loud enough to bother me.

You sure you're not hearing the fake engine noise from the speaker inside the passenger's side wheel well? It is always there below 15mph.

I’m sure. I typically notice the high pitch noise during ~35 to 60 mph squirts. At low speeds it is hard to hear the motor due to the pedestrian warning sound.

f1geek said:
I’m sure. I typically notice the high pitch noise during ~35 to 60 mph squirts. At low speeds it is hard to hear the motor due to the pedestrian warning sound.

Oh, That noise! Yes, sorta like a very quiet Formula E car. Love it. I thought the OP was referring to slower speeds where we get fake noise. My bad.

msvphoto said:
You sure you're not hearing the fake engine noise from the speaker inside the passenger's side wheel well? It is always there below 15mph.

Speaking of that fake engine noise. I am yet to hear anything that remotely resembles this noise. Do we even have this enabled in the US? My car is 2019 SE; I'm in the US. Thanks!

Szyszka said:
msvphoto said:

Speaking of that fake engine noise. I am yet to hear anything that remotely resembles this noise. Do we even have this enabled in the US? My car is 2019 SE; I'm in the US. Thanks!

It is mandated in the US I believe. Easiest to hear from outside the car on the passenger side. I hear it when my wife drives up to pick me up at work. Inside the car with windows up it is faintly audible sometimes.

Szyszka said:

Its the low rumbling, almost groaning sound that the car makes when travelling at low speeds. Open the windows in a quiet underground parking lot or similar and start moving very slowly, as you pick up to 1 or 2 mi/hr you'll hear a rumbling sounds fade in that gets louder as you speed up, but in a way that feels artificial; like its a program responding to a speed sensor and not the natural sound of machinery spinning faster. At 18mph it fades out because the rolling noise from the tyres is loud enough alone.

It's not an unpleasant sound, and VW clearly put some thought into how to make the e-Golf audible and still have its own unique sound. Can't say I love it either though, and I still want to install the defeat button I got from Europe...

Sparklebeard said:
Its the low rumbling, almost groaning sound that the car makes when travelling at low speeds. Open the windows in a quiet underground parking lot or similar and start moving very slowly, as you pick up to 1 or 2 mi/hr you'll hear a rumbling sounds fade in that gets louder as you speed up, but in a way that feels artificial; like its a program responding to a speed sensor and not the natural sound of machinery spinning faster. At 18mph it fades out because the rolling noise from the tyres is loud enough alone.

It's not an unpleasant sound, and VW clearly put some thought into how to make the e-Golf audible and still have its own unique sound. Can't say I love it either though, and I still want to install the defeat button I got from Europe...

I had my kid drive very slowly around the (open) parking lot while I was 'jogging' next to the car. I was trying really really hard to register the sound you've tried to describe and, while I think I heard something, I am still not 100% certain that my car has this feature fully enabled.

Szyszka said:
Sparklebeard said:

I had my kid drive very slowly around the (open) parking lot while I was 'jogging' next to the car. I was trying really really hard to register the sound you've tried to describe and, while I think I heard something, I am still not 100% certain that my car has this feature fully enabled.

I don't think this feature is enabled on my 2018 SEL either. Neither my wife nor I hear any sound at all at low speeds.

It's a legally mandated feature, so it would be surprising if it's not present. There's a fault light for it and all. So your vehicle is totally silent around 10mph, no sound from the engine compartment (right wheel well, to be precise) at all?

I'm envious.

Sparklebeard said:
It's a legally mandated feature, so it would be surprising if it's not present. There's a fault light for it and all. So your vehicle is totally silent around 10mph, no sound from the engine compartment (right wheel well, to be precise) at all?

I'm envious.

Nope. The car does not make any artificial sound that I can hear at low speeds.

By whom is it legally mandated in the U.S., and since when? Do you have a source for this info? I thought rules about this were only in effect in the EU.

manybees said:
Sparklebeard said:

I'm envious.

Nope. The car does not make any artificial sound that I can hear at low speeds.

By whom is it legally mandated in the U.S., and since when? Do you have a source for this info? I thought rules about this were only in effect in the EU.

I think Sparklebeard is onto something as there is technically a legislation (The Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010) that mandates the use of simulated noise in EV vehicles. After numerous delays, the regulation requires full compliance in September 2020. The big question is whether our e-Golf is in already in compliance. I think the jury is stil out on that one.

I tried finding something on YouTube and stumbled across this video from Germany:

Wie klingt eigentlich der e-Sound vom neuen e-Golf (What does the e-sound of the new e-Golf sound like?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC0COIDkoYk

I don't know about you but I am having very hard time hearing anything when they e-sound is supposedly enabled.

Now, compare it with the e-sound on the VW up! (not sold in US):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HhwL90kMQ0

In this car you CAN CLEARLY hear the sound (at least on this video).

Szyszka said:
I think Sparklebeard is onto something as there is technically a legislation (The Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010) that mandates the use of simulated noise in EV vehicles. After numerous delays, the regulation requires full compliance in September 2020. The big question is whether our e-Golf is in already in compliance. I think the jury is stil out on that one.

I tried finding something on YouTube and stumbled across this video from Germany:

I don't know about you but I am having very hard time hearing anything when they e-sound is supposedly enabled.

Now, compare it with the e-sound on the VW up! (not sold in US):
In this car you CAN CLEARLY hear the sound (at least on this video).

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

Just checked again this morning, and my 2018 e-Golf SEL definitely does not make any noise like this. At under 10 mph, and when the tires aren't rolling over gravel, it's almost totally silent.

Very strange VW would change this, but apparently they did. The 2015 definitely does have the fake sound. The sound comes from a little loudspeaker inside the right front wheel well. I hear it every time my wife picks me up from work. It is hard to hear on the inside but quite clear from the outside as she rolls up.

the discussion derailed . this thread is about the annoying high pitch sound.
anyway, I confirm my 2019 SE US version does make the artificial noise at low speed.

Blackgolf said:
anyway, I confirm my 2019 SE US version does make the artificial noise at low speed.

Sorry, I know.. it's my fault... :oops:

What's funny is that there is a dedicated thread on vwvortex discussing this specific issue: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7108275-Disbale-fake-engine-sound.

no problem at all. you just provide me a great forum for e-golf. :D

Szyszka said:
Blackgolf said:

Sorry, I know.. it's my fault... :oops:

What's funny is that there is a dedicated thread on vwvortex discussing this specific issue: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7108275-Disbale-fake-engine-sound.

Back