eGolf as emergency power source

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustboy

PG&E is threatening to shut off our power for the next five days to prevent their power lines from starting a firestorm, fast dry winds are predicted.

I plan to keep our refrigerator and pond pump (oxygen for the fish) running with power from our van conversion and solar powered tool shed, but I only have about 1,800 watt/hours available in batteries between the two.

It crossed my mind that I have a battery in my driveway with 24 kWh, is there any way to safely pull 12 VDC from the eGolf? The cigarette lighter certainly doesn’t have enough current to start a refrigerator compressor.

I don't know of a way to get power out of the e-Golf other than the 12 V outlets (which probably have pretty low amperage rating). Although CHAdeMO cars can be connected to the grid to provide power, I believe the setup not cheap. As of today, CCS cars do not offer V to X capability as standard, but that is coming in the future. I hope you don't lose power for too long.

In the thread linked below, people show that you can have the traction battery provide power to the 12V system for an extended period so that you can run a 12V power inverter to keep your refrigerator and some other small loads running during an outage. Forget about powering your whole house or connecting into your electrical panel. Just use extension cords to the appliances that are REALLY important.

https://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1068

That’s the info I was looking for...I’ll only try it if I have exhausted my other batteries and all our food is about to spoil. In theory it shouldn’t be putting more load on the DC-DC converter than the max accessory load (Heat pump must draw a good amount of current) but...best case failure is a blown fuse, worst case is a blown DC-DC converter.

Back