ventilation work around enroute

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi folks, this workaround is commonly available on all cars but it really helpful for EV's.
Say you are in a max range regime and you really don't want to engage the climate control to preserve that range.
In an autumn circumstance when its a nice sunny day and the outside temperature is in the 40's or 50's, but solar heating through all that glass jacks the interior to the uncomfortable high 70's or even 80's.
Instead of using the climate control normally....try this. Momentarily press the button for the vent you want to see air out of (feet, face or defrost) and a second later turn climate control off. This shuts off the fan and opens up the selected duct and keeps it open. If ur driving >30mph cool ram seeps out of the selected vent but its just enough to balance the temps. Below 30mph, you can crack the window without buffeting.

I've wondered how to do this (didn't think it was possible). But haven't been successful when following these instructions. Has anyone else? Perhaps I'm not doing it right...

Does this "workaround" do anything? I usually turn off the HVAC and don't feel any air movement coming from any vents. Maybe this "workaround" doesn't work at all if the vents all close?

Back