2019 Owners - Please read - Scratching / Chirping Noise When Braking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started a thread earlier titled "Engine Chirping Noise at Less Than 10 MPH" and based on feedback from other owners I took my car to the dealer earlier today for a check-up. Here is what the dealer wrote back on the paperwork.

"Guest states 90% of the time at any time of day while braking from slow speeds, a chirping marble rolling type of sound is heard. Check and advise.

Tech Notes:
Performed test drive and heard the noise. Happens at slow speed and during a slow stop. Does not do it in park. Pulled wheels and found no issues. No foreign debris lodged anywhere. No codes. Noise is a known issue from E-Golfs only and is normal. I drove two brand new PDI E-Golfs and both made the same noise. No Tech tips and or technical service bulletins available. Not a safety issue"

My question is if other 2019 owners are also experiencing this braking noise that is most audible at slow speeds. Basically, when you apply regenerative braking by moving to B, there is NO noise whatsoever. But when you apply brake, you hear something churning. I had posted this audio recording earlier that I am repasting here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sqII0yHmDFc1PNUcHo0iXTMp140Zak3s/view?usp=sharing

Could other owners also chime in please? The reason I opened a new thread is to get feedback from 2019 owners. There was no option to edit the previous title. I still love the car but I was hoping this issue could be addressed as I hear this sound each time I brake at low speeds.

Yes, I get a similar sound though I would say it sounds like a spring being compressed, or like marbles rolling around. My sound is steady while your recording is more pulsing, but I believe it's the same thing.

The sound was the same in my 2016 as in my 2019.

I chalk it up to another one of those normal car sounds that you're hearing only because the motor is so quiet.

Yep, I do hear some 'noises' when applying the brakes at low speed. This does not immediately indicate to me that there is a 'problem' that needs solving. Just like your tech said, this appears to be a 'feature' found in all of those car. No point of trying to find a solution.

Thanks for this feedback. I am surprised there is such little mention of this issue on this forum considering based on reports the issue is present in so many cars. Are there any theories on where the problem lies?

I agree that a lot of noises normally masked by the ICE power unit and ancillaries we now hear in an EV. I’m not convinced this is a problem. If a part moves, it is going to make some noise.

f1geek said:
I agree that a lot of noises normally masked by the ICE power unit and ancillaries we now hear in an EV. I’m not convinced this is a problem. If a part moves, it is going to make some noise.

100% agree.

You folks probably are correct. This is likely just the way it is in this particular car. I have owned this car about 3 months and prior to this car, I had a 3 year lease of the i3 and followed by a 3 year lease on the Leaf. And neither of those cars had any such noise. Having said that, I am willing to live with this small issue. I do like everything else about the car.

coupedncal1 said:
You folks probably are correct. This is likely just the way it is in this particular car. I have owned this car about 3 months and prior to this car, I had a 3 year lease of the i3 and followed by a 3 year lease on the Leaf. And neither of those cars had any such noise. Having said that, I am willing to live with this small issue. I do like everything else about the car.

Other than this particular noise, how would you compare your e-Golf to the i3 and the Leaf?

JoulesThief said:
Other than this particular noise, how would you compare your e-Golf to the i3 and the Leaf?

Great question. The i3 and the Leaf are very different cars. Here is my synopsis of each car.

BMW i3 REX:
This was my first EV. It was a 2014 model year with 70 miles EV range and another 70 miles of gas range. I had the car for 30K miles and I only drove about 150 miles on gas and the remainder 29900 miles on electric. When I leased the car, I was unsure how I would make a short range EV work with my lifestyle and the gas backup was just an insurance. After driving this for 3 years, I realized I could do without the complications of a gas engine and an EV with a little more range will work just fine. The i3 drove beautifully and the upright driving posture took very little time to get used to. It was a great city car and I really enjoyed it.

In terms of handling, it was a 7/10 primarily because of the thin tires.
The reliability was a 10/10 for me and perhaps I was one of the lucky ones with no REX related check engine lights that I often read about in forums.
Two reasons I did not buy off the car at the end of the lease. The payoff was unreasonably high and the carpool tags were short lived in that year in my state. Interesting tidbit. The payoff was $26K and change. I returned the car. They listed it for $18K. The car didn't; sell for a while and finally they listed it for $12K and it was purchased shortly thereafter. So obviously BMW had heavily subsidized the lease.

Nissan Leaf:
It was the 2017 model year with 107 mile range. The car really lacked personality but it worked like clockwork. Not a single issue in 2 years of lease. None. Not an iota of sounds or noises from the drivetrain. Not a single issue with any of the instruments. It just worked. I am amazed at how well that car was put together.
Handling was a 7/10. Ride was bit "spongy" After the i3 which rode higher, I appreciated getting into a proper "car". My kids loved the fact the rear windows opened which was not the case with the i3.
Reliability was a 10/10. The only expense I had in 27K miles was a purchase of all season mats. Just had the tires rotated for free from American Tires and returned the car with plenty of tread left.
Did not purchase at lease end as I had the opportunity to purchase a new E-Golf for about $3.5K more than the Leaf buy off. It was a no brainer to walk away from the Leaf.

E-Golf:
It has everything that the leaf lacked. Better handling. Better fit and finish. Better handling. Better range. Ability to max charge to less than max. Ability to create profiles and switch between profiles based on need.

Hope this review was helpful.

Chiming in with 'me too' - my eGolf 2019 has 1k miles on it and i can hear the spring-like sound when braking at low speed. Could hear it since buying the car. Although, there's no rhyme and reason to it. It can be heard at low speeds, but... not always!

I'm also getting a whine under very light acceleration at about 35-45 mph. Sounds like a bearing or gears/differential. Definitely not tires (well nothing is definite) :roll:

coval said:
Chiming in with 'me too' - my eGolf 2019 has 1k miles on it and i can hear the spring-like sound when braking at low speed. Could hear it since buying the car. Although, there's no rhyme and reason to it. It can be heard at low speeds, but... not always!

I'm also getting a whine under very light acceleration at about 35-45 mph. Sounds like a bearing or gears/differential. Definitely not tires (well nothing is definite) :roll:

same for me.... it was very noticeable on my 2015, its still there on the 2019 but just a bit less pronounced. I'm guessing as the car ages it will get louder.

Back