help estimate my capacity

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buradd

can anyone estimate my 2015 e-Golf SEL's battery capacity/degradation using this photo?

6aKk4DH.jpg

Thank you!

EDIT: to add more context, my charger just finished and stated it took 2.5 hours to charge 14.38kWh

Impossible to do, not enough information.

Here's how you can get a better idea of capacity.

Give your car a full charge.

Drive a big round trip to the exact same starting point where you charged, until you have about 15 to 20 miles left on a charge.

Add up the miles you traveled on that trip to the miles remaining on the battery charge left "in the tank" Then divide by the M / kWh since Last Recharge.

Write it down, in a log book.

You must have the same elevation every time you recharge, hence the "round trip" suggestions, to eliminate the elevation variable when estimating range and battery capacity remaining.

On thing for certain, averaging a 59 mph average on that last drive is hauling ass everywhere you go, because that mph drops like a stone every time you get off the freeway and get into city traffic, continuing your trip.

Do that 5 or 6 time to get an average of total kWh capacity for your battery, with the dates it occurred. My battery tends to show bigger capacity in the spring, summer and fall, than in the cold or in the winter.

YMMV.

I have a 58 mile commute to work, literally all freeway and maybe half a mile total of streets.. and that was the morning drive, the morning drive to work is only about an hour and traffic flies.. annnddd it's mostly downhill...
Coming home, it takes about 2 hours, lots of stop n go on the same freeway going the opposite way and uphill.

I get to work with a decent charge left for going 58 miles.. but when I come home, there are days that the gas light comes on.

This is what the instruments tell you:

you drove 58 mi using 4.8 mi/kwh - this means you used 12.1 kwh of energy (58 mi / 4.8 mi/kwh = 12.1kwh)

each of the sub-marks in the battery gauge is 1/16 of the full battery charge - you used 11/16 of the battery for the trip (assuming the battery was fully charged when you started the trip) - since you used 12.1 kwh for this trip, this means that the fully charged battery had 17.6 kwh (12.1 kwy / (11/16))

I.e., the answer to your question is: 17.6 kwh

wkuballa said:
This is what the instruments tell you:

you drove 58 mi using 4.8 mi/kwh - this means you used 12.1 kwh of energy (58 mi / 4.8 mi/kwh = 12.1kwh)

each of the sub-marks in the battery gauge is 1/16 of the full battery charge - you used 11/16 of the battery for the trip (assuming the battery was fully charged when you started the trip) - since you used 12.1 kwh for this trip, this means that the fully charged battery had 17.6 kwh (12.1 kwy / (11/16))

I.e., the answer to your question is: 17.6 kwh

But the charger said it added over 14kWh 🤔

The EVSE adds more than the battery accepts due to charging losses from charger (charger is in car) inefficiency and also includes any energy required to condition car interior.

So my 2015 egolf sel with 42k miles is at 85% estimated battery capacity

To get a better measure of useful capacity, charge to 100% and then drive the car down to the red zone (~10 miles or less) to get a better estimate.

f1geek said:
To get a better measure of useful capacity, charge to 100% and then drive the car down to the red zone (~10 miles or less) to get a better estimate.

And, make sure you end up at the same elevation and location that you started at with a full charge, to eliminate elevation changes influencing your miles/kWh.

Running the battery all the way down is probably not a healthy practice for the battery pack in your car. Best to keep the gauge out of the red zone. Red means stop what you are doing and fix it. In this case it means recharge ASAP, don't keep driving.

Back