Replacing the factory default infotainment in a 2016 eGolf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very soon to be a new owner of a 2016 eGolf which I'm very excited about. However, I was a bit disappointed (I thought I'd researched) to discover when taking it for a spin yesterday, that the infotainment system is not the one I anticipated with Android Auto, gesture etc. I think the videos I'd seen on YouTube were for the upcoming 2017 one at the time. Never mind.

I suspect this isn't simple, but how easy is it to upgrade the interface so you can have that Android Auto (and potentially screen mirroring), are there any manufacturers to avoid/gravitate to? or is this something that requires the work of a genius...?

thanks and good to be here...

EDIT

Even better, is there a way to just update the software?

I may be wrong, but I thought the 2015 was the only year that didn't have CarPlay and Android Auto. I assume you're talking about the US version. European cars have completely different telematics software and communication than the US cars.

The 2016 SE has a smaller screen than the SEL, but it should be able to do Android Auto. It is the saving grace for not having built-in GPS navigation like the SEL.

miimura said:
I may be wrong, but I thought the 2015 was the only year that didn't have CarPlay and Android Auto. I assume you're talking about the US version. European cars have completely different telematics software and communication than the US cars.

thank you for your response, yes sorry this is a US import

miimura said:
The 2016 SE has a smaller screen than the SEL, but it should be able to do Android Auto. It is the saving grace for not having built-in GPS navigation like the SEL.

OK, thank you, so what does this mean for me?
Am I about to go on a journey full of frustration and hair pulling if I try to upgrade, or is it not too bad?

Probably not worth the effort, unless you are a VW Guru or nut with the skills and a Ross TEch cable and software package to get the coding right. Otherwise, buy something else with an entertainment system that you already like.

Noted thanks, so I guess my next question would be what model is generally recommended (and affordable) that gives me the likes of Android auto, and ideally means to display video

If you have a US 2016 e-Golf SE, then your car has Android Auto built in. Have you tried to use it? If it works, why do you need to change it?

Back