J949 OCU 3G or 4G?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crunch81

Good day People,

I have a J949 OCU unit in my car which communicates with WeConnect (Carnet)
2G and 3G Bands are being shutdown.
I want to know:

1. If I have a 3G or 4G module in my car and how I can check this?
2. If I can swap a OCU module with 4G In my car?
3. If I need another module, Which to I need? Can anybody tell me which VW article number I need?

I guess this is one of those questions were very few people know an answer to but I do not know another way to find out.
The questions are way to hard for the dealer, believe me.

Thanks for replys in advance!!
Greetings Crunch

I certainly do not have a technical answer, just an opinion. As the e-Golf has been around for barely 5 years, is it likely that it already supports at least 4G? I agree 5G is unlikely. I suppose you could look at parts diagrams for each model year and track any part number changes, and then try to figure out your answer. Best of luck!

I believe @crunch81 is in Europe. Keep in mind that most users on this forum are in North America.

The radio module in the US e-Golf is completely different than in Europe. If I recall correctly, the VW USA CarNet service is based on service provided by Verizon Telematics and therefore uses the Verizon data network. VW Canada does not support any remote telematics.

Back