Daily commute charging question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fons

Hi,
I just ordered 2019 egolf in Shanghai China. I installed a 7.2kw charger at home garage .
Dealer claims egolf can do 220km with cool air-conditioning on. My office is 135km away. Half 120kph motorway, half 80 kph motorway. No charging facility available in my office. But there are several public 60kw fast charger station near by.
So I guess I have to use fast charger to charge up to certain SOC before go back home everyday.
Is that OK with the battery?

I don't think you can expect 220 km of range with that commute, especially if running A/C. Driving any distance at 120 km/hr will surely put a quick dent in your range. Achieving 220 km of range with city/suburban driving is safer bet. The owner's manual says that "frequent and consecutive" use of DC quick charging will degrade the battery. If you charge up at home each night, you'd be taking away the "consecutive" part. Still, I wouldn't want to be putting my car on a fast charger that often.

fons said:
Hi,
I just ordered 2019 egolf in Shanghai China. I installed a 7.2kw charger at home garage .
Dealer claims egolf can do 220km with cool air-conditioning on. My office is 135km away. Half 120kph motorway, half 80 kph motorway. No charging facility available in my office. But there are several public 60kw fast charger station near by.
So I guess I have to use fast charger to charge up to certain SOC before go back home everyday.
Is that OK with the battery?
I would not expect more than 200km range with that much motorway driving. So, you will probably need 15 minutes of DC Fast Charging on the way home each day. Since you will slowly charge back to full at home each night, I think this is not a problem for the battery.
With some experience, you will know how much you need to charge to comfortably make it home. You can also look for DC Fast charging stations near home in case you come up short some day.

Hi,
Actually the 120kph motorway is only about 45km. Also quite traffic. Usually i set cruise control on 110 to archive less brake.
Along the fast charger, there is 7kw ac charger also. But that parking is 4km from my office. So i have to figure out a way to leave the car there and go to office to work.
Chinese VW dealer has many egolf stock from mid 2018. Now they sell for a really discounted price. About 19k USD. So no hesitation, just grab one

Too bad you can not charge at your office, even using the trickle charging station (120 V or 240 V in China?). Even at 120 V and 10 amps, in 8 hours you might be able to get enough charge to make it home. 2.4 km sounds like a long walk to me. Maybe ask your office to install a charging station for employees?

I try to negotiate with the office property management. But they are not really useful.
I probably will try to take the sharing bicycle to gap the distance between charging station and my office. Good 40 mins cycling each day is good for health. Now i could go really green.

I meant to say “2.4 mi” (I think in miles). Bike sounds good - or you could get an electric folding bike. It is too bad the office won’t even let you connect to a wall outlet outside the building. Best of luck!

Back