f1geek

Re: 12V Battery Replacement Questions

Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:13 am

The link provided to the golfmk7 forum says coding is necessary for cars with stop/start as well as for regular Golfs and e-Golf. It seems the coding is different, but still required. Also, you say coding is "useful". Why do think it is useful if you also say it is not needed? thanks!
2017 e-Golf LE, Multi Coat White with Black Vegan Leather interior

RecoverE

Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:28 am

To continue with my original post, I should receive the OBD11 Pro dongle today and will post my battery replacement experience by this weekend for anyone interested.

Thanks again for the comments.

RecoverE

Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:16 pm

I successfully replaced the original JCB 58ah AGM battery with a Duracell 60ah unit. I maintained voltage on the system with a third 12V battery and cables. After the exchange there were no codes indicating that the vehicle detected the change. Lastly, I used the OBDEleven dongle to define the new battery to the system -- amp hours, SN, and MFG. As an interesting observation, the dongle reports a battery voltage roughly 0.3v lower that that voltage measured at the battery terminals with a DVM.

somethingcool

Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:17 pm

f1geek wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:13 am
necessary for cars with stop/start as well as for regular Golfs and e-Golf.
No it doesn't, I already quoted that post: "Any VAG “MQB” platform cars (not Hybrids or Electrics)."

I said it was useful as changing the battery serial number resets the capacity measure, but it's not needed because the car will learn it over time without a reset. I guess y'all are made of money if you're dropping all this extra money and effort for a placebo. To each their own, I'm just posting for the people who aren't suckers.

f1geek

Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:09 am

$100 for software and dongle is a pittance. The e-Golf has a list price of over $30,000. I got OBDEleven to be able to read cell voltages, check on SoH, etc. Being able to properly code a new 12V battery is a benefit I did not anticipate, but I am glad I will be able to use it.

BomBoi

Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:54 pm

With weight in mind as well as longevity, what about Lithium ion batteries for our cars. i would think that little extra money and light weight can save time and hassle the long run.
17 e-Golf SE Urano Grey
01 Porsche 996TT Speed Yellow

f1geek

Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:07 pm

Makes sense, but I wonder if the typical super hot environment under an ICE car's hood is too punishing an environment for Li-ion, and thus few battery companies offer 12V Li-ion batteries?

BomBoi

Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:44 pm

I never thought about that . I guess as long as the company offers a good warranty, thats a great piece of mind . I was thinking about getting a battery from Antigravity Batteries.

This is their warranty info on them.

"Antigravity Batteries LLC warrants to the original purchaser that our batteries are free of defects in material and workmanship for the
Prorated term of 5 years. This will encompass a 3 year Direct Replacement period, with the final 2 years being prorated. All batteries
must be registered within the first 30 days from the Original Purchase Date or Original Purchaser must provide a copy of the Original
Receipt in order to be eligible for a warranty claim. Only the Original Purchaser will have the Warranty Coverage. Warranties are
non-transferable. Returns will only be accepted from the Original Purchaser. The Applicable Warranty Period begins from the date of
purchase with Original receipt. "
17 e-Golf SE Urano Grey

f1geek

Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:36 pm

Sounds good! I have an Antigravity Li-ion jumper battery for my wife’s fossil gobbler and it has been good so far, though I have only used it a few times to jump start a car. I’m guessing these are LFP cells which are very durable.

BomBoi

Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:30 am

I just saw this last night and saw the post about FCP and programming the battery on MK7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T2LQNbjABM

No need to program the batteries unless it has battery management. It looks like a small control module on the negative terminal. Typically if you have start/stop it will have it though, in that case you need to have it reprogrammed at a shop or dealer after reinstall.

So i have a battery management module on my egolf.

I will be taking the plunge with an Li battery once the time comes.

Wish me luck!
17 e-Golf SE Urano Grey

Return to “Technical Discussions”