2015 egolf SEL - Won't charge, No green light.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fessyfoo

I have a 2015 egolf SEL.

Tonight, It won't charge. If i test with either my HCS-40 EVSE or the 120V EVSE the car came with, the same things happen:

- Yellow light on charge port comes on solid and stays on.
- EVSE green charge light comes on.
- Dashboard display lights up and shows plug icon but never a charge estimate.
- green charge light never comes on.

None of the threads I could find about egolfs not charging seem to have that same behavior, they all mention the green light coming on for a moment then shutting off.

Going to check with the dealer in the morning.

I'd go try a DC fast charging station, but sadly I have no juice to get there.

My son brought the car home with zero miles remaining. which I hope is not part of the problem. We did do that once a year ago and it seemed to handle it ok.

The yellow light indicates the car knows the connector is properly attached to the vehicle but either there is no current available or your vehicle may be set in a way that it won't charge.

Have you connected your 120 V EVSE to a different receptacle or even different circuit and tried to charge again?

Have you pressed the "immediate charge" button to the left of the vehicle charge inlet to be sure the car charges after the handshake (instead of waiting for a scheduled time)?

In the car's e-manager have you set the minimum charge level above 0%? If yes, change it to something like 20% or 30%

Have you set the car's maximum charge level at 10% or less (not sure if this is even possible)? If yes, set it to something like 70% or 80%.

I suppose you could disconnect the 12 V battery for a few minutes to "reset" the car if you think that might help.

f1geek said:
Have you connected your 120 V EVSE to a different receptacle or even different circuit and tried to charge again?

I tried the 120v EVSE and my 240V EVSE from different circuits. but i didn't try the 120v on a different circuit.

f1geek said:
Have you pressed the "immediate charge" button to the left of the vehicle charge inlet to be sure the car charges after the handshake (instead of waiting for a scheduled time)?

I did. I've never configured scheduled charging either.

f1geek said:
In the car's e-manager have you set the minimum charge level above 0%? If yes, change it to something like 20% or 30%
Have you set the car's maximum charge level at 10% or less (not sure if this is even possible)? If yes, set it to something like 70% or 80%.

... what's the e-manager? :). seems I have something to learn.

f1geek said:
I suppose you could disconnect the 12 V battery for a few minutes to "reset" the car if you think that might help.

interesting. thanks.

we ended up towing to the dealer this morning, who kindly warned us it's 3 months out of warranty. like it planned this. :D

we'll see what they say.

f1geek said:
1. Yes, there is no e-manager on the 2015 model year.
2. You need Car-Net or the VW equivalent in Jordan to set charging limits and set charging schedules.

ah.. I don't have e-manager, which is why i never heard of it.

Oops. I forgot there is no e-manger in the car...and I drove a 2015 e-Golf for three years!

While there is is no e-Manager in the car, I believe you can get the same functionality through car-net. But, since it is at the dealer and it seems you never set a charging schedule, then I guess it is likely not the problem - unless your son changed things?

Best of luck with the dealer!

I never got a charging schedule in there. son didn't change anything.
I only had carnet working for a moment. then I never went back into it again. never did a charge schedule with it.

dealer update is "issue with the high voltage system" "getting vw engineering involved tuesday" .. "wait"

*sigh*

You may still have warranty coverage. I don't have my warranty booklet handy, but I do remember the battery has an 8 year/100 k mile warranty. I believe the high voltage charging system is also warrantied longer than 3 yrs / 36k miles.

Just checked my 2017 warranty booklet and the high voltage charging system is covered by a 5 year / 60,000 mile warranty. I guess you have an early 2015 model, so that's why you are 3 months out of warranty?

I will offer my late observation for your charging problem given charging issues that I have had with my 2015 eGolf SEL. From your description I judge that your power plug locking pin does not engage and thus no charge cycle begins. I have had locking/unlocking issues, mainly unlocking, over the past year which required manual retraction of the pin with a pointed tool. Two months ago I replaced the original 12V battery and I have not had issues since. My thinking is that the locking pin solenoid is sensitive to the 12V battery voltage level. I would offer that before you incur an expensive repair bill, try again charging the main traction battery with an active 12v charger connected to the 12V battery when the charging plug is attached. Just a thought.

The dealer got back to me. they say the "main charging harness" needs to be replaced. ~ $800 + $1200 labor after some coupon and rental credit.
just out of the 5/year hv charging system warantee..

and it's with them. now. so tough decision.

How can you tell if the locking pin engages? and where is it?. got any pictures? I do think it was latching because I couldn't remove the plug without unlocking the car. definitely could have tried the 12v charging trick. but car is with the dealer now.

If you could not remove the plug, then it seems the locking pin works. At rest, the pin (solenoid, I believe) is flush with the charge port surface - once the car sends voltage to the solenoid, it extends away from the surface several millimeters. The pin is located at the top of the charge port, above the circular J1772 socket but below the plug locking lever, so when the pin extends it blocks the movement of the locking lever, thus keeping the plug locked into the vehicle inlet.

Did the dealer tell you what is wrong with the main charging harness? Since most of the harness has no moving parts, you still need to suspect the locking pin because it is the only moving part and in my experience, moving parts fail far sooner than an electrical wire that is solidly connected to terminals.

Unfortunately, it seems VW will not repair the locking pin and instead chooses to replace the whole assembly because VW supplies the whole assembly as a single "part".

The locking pin is in the charging port directly above the charging socket. If you needed to unlock the car to remove the charging plug, then the pin was engaging properly. So, my comment suggesting a 12v charger fix is not relevant. It is hard to understand how a charging harness fails other than at its contact connection points. Re-seating/re-torquing contacts could correct the problem. I would ask the dealer to show the point of failure for the harness before agreeing to the repair. The point of failure should be at the harness contact ends and not within the harness itself. You may also want to google "egolf charging harness failure" for more info.

part# 5ge-971-531-j. was replaced. this apparently does not include the charge port. so I don't think it includes the locking solenoid.

They said "there was a fault" in that part, and they can't say exactly what was wrong with it, they don't replace parts of the wiring.

so.. computer says. eh.. replace this part. but... I'm with you guys I don't understand how a bunch of large non moving wires fails.

unfortunately they next said, the car won't "reset" and so won't charge, and they have to replace another part, which they'll do for cost of the part and no labor charge. I still need to get out of them which part.

so, I still don't have the car. but they have loaned us a car this last week.

Sorry to hear the dealer is being cryptic. I looked up the part and it seems to me it includes the charge port lock as the part is the whole assembly from the battery to the charge port, all inclusive.

The dealer really needs to tell you specifically the fault code and what that fault code means. They also need to give you the same info on the new fault code and why they are giving you a discount. Did they break something during the repair?

car is still with the dealer.

this is the second part. 5QE-820-743-D. "AC tube" "Suction Hose, Coolantpip"

paraphrasing:

us: "why did you have to replace that it's not related to charging? "

them: "Could not reset the system while a fault is registered. this bit was registering a fault"

seems to me it includes the charge port lock as the part is the whole assembly from the battery to the charge port, all inclusive

Thanks @f1geek. I couldn't tell that from what I found. I appreciate it.

Thanks for the update. This is certainly taking a long time. The part number you supplied is indeed part of the A/C piping. I hope you get the car back soon. What sort of warranty will you get on the charge port mechanism?

They were supposed to get back to os on thursday. didn't hear from them yet. going to reach out to them tomorrow.

They have loaned us a car so we haven't really stressed about how long they are taking.

They say they have been waiting on that AC part. It just came in today. so we'll see. super glad they loaned us a car.

The parts come with 12kmi/12mo warranty.

Back