2019 VW e-Golf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasakel

Hi folks,

I recently purchased and had installed by an electrician...

* 2019 VW e-Golf SE
* ChargePoint 16-50 amp Level 2 charger hardwired (future-proofed for higher capacity car)
* The charger has settings for 16A, 24A, 32A, 40A, 48A, 50A.

What is the best MAX amperage I should set the charger to to both protect the battery for longevity and still charge as fast as possible?

Thanks!

I have mine set for 24 amp on a day to day basis. I'll bump it to 32 (my max) if I'm getting a quick top up between trips.
You can set it for 50 but the on board charger will only use between 29 and 31 amps so there is no danger or battery damage at that level.
During the summer months I set the car to charge to 90% but in the winter it needs all the range (heating) it can get.
They say that repeated use of the high voltage direct DC connection may degrade the battery over time.

The proper setting for the ChargePoint charger should match the circuit breaker size it is installed with. The e-Golf has a 30A on-board charger, so it will never use more than that. Any AC charging is very gentle on the battery. Only DC Fast charging could possibly do anything to shorten the life of the traction battery.

If you want to be particularly conservative, set the car to only charge to 90% on a daily basis and only charge to 100% when you know you will use more than 75% of the range.

Back