How to Disconnect the e-motor noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anybody had any success in disconnecting the e-motor noise ?

I leased a new e-Golf in two months ago, having previously driven a Ford Focus Electric for about 30 months.

I find the whirring noise fairly annoying, and I was wondering if anybody has had any luck disconnecting it ?

Apart from that one issue, I am very happy with the car.

You can get sued if you hit someone with the safety feature disconnected. It's a US requirement
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_vehicle_warning_sounds

Ron

Thanks for the link. If you read the full article, you will see that the US regulations are still under discussion, and will not take effect until 2018 at the earliest.

I have no problem with the car emitting the noise, but just wish it was not audible to such a degree inside the car.

I'm interested in finding a way to put the e-sound on a switch too, although I haven't done much about it yet besides find this image that someone else posted online a while back:

QbrpbtU.jpg

I believe a resistor will be needed because someone noted that one of the displays showed an error to the effect of 'please drive extra careful, the e-sound is not functioning.'

Good luck, and please post pictures and tips if you get it going.

After about 5 months I think I've gotten used to it - at least I've stopped thinking every day "is this sound annoying or not?" You'll get used to it.

It is silly sounding.

Given there's no way around it, I wish they gave us the option, like ringtones, to make it sound like we wish.

I personally would go with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdWswvLPdE0

formerdieselrumbler said:
I'm interested in finding a way to put the e-sound on a switch too, although I haven't done much about it yet besides find this image that someone else posted online a while back:

QbrpbtU.jpg

I believe a resistor will be needed because someone noted that one of the displays showed an error to the effect of 'please drive extra careful, the e-sound is not functioning.'

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7108275-Disbale-fake-engine-sound has the solution, 10 Ohm resistor added, done.

Skryll said:
formerdieselrumbler said:

QbrpbtU.jpg

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7108275-Disbale-fake-engine-sound has the solution, 10 Ohm resistor added, done.

Works great! Thanks.

Get an old headphone set and cut one of the earbuds off. The wire is thin but you can solder the two ends (separately) you can stick them into the connector. Tape it up good or better to use heat shrink and you are all set. Then pull it apart at lease end and put it all back.

rjfougnier said:
Get an old headphone set and cut one of the earbuds off. The wire is thin but you can solder the two ends (separately) you can stick them into the connector. Tape it up good or better to use heat shrink and you are all set. Then pull it apart at lease end and put it all back.

LOL that may be even better than driving to radioshack for a 10-Ohm resistor :) I must have a ton of old headphone sets in the drawer.

Skryll said:
rjfougnier said:

LOL that may be even better than driving to radioshack for a 10-Ohm resistor :) I must have a ton of old headphone sets in the drawer.
You have a Radioshack still? Down here all we have are Fry's :)

Skryll said:

Haha- that was my post on vwvortext.com too. Sorry I never linked to it here.

Hi just did mine today it’s a US spec 2015 SEL I disabled it without cutting of unplugging any thing except a fuse

Step one remove the small bin on the left lower side of the steering wheel to get access to the fuse for the outside sound generator fuse position 48 should be a 7.5 amp fuse fo the Engine sound generator control module j943 this Will trigger a fault warning on the instrument cluster.

Step two with the VCDS go into the can gateway module adress 19 find the CO actuator for exterior noise from the list of installed module and un click it

Step 3 go next to the instrument cluster module adress 17 and in to coding 07 then click on the long coding helper and click the up arrow until you see 12 there you un click the internal noise sound actuator then get out and save and erase all fault codes in all modules in the full scan section.

HI,
ChristianEV said:
Step two with the VCDS go into the
Hey, for the rest of us, what the heck is that? Sounds like a code reader that a technician would use. That's not going to fly for most of us. So the steps 2 & 3 seem to be for someone well aware of how to modify the software of the Egolf.

I was recently curious about the car's fuses in hopes of resetting the infotainment system but saw the user manual state you must go to dealer for a list of your model's fuses. And in doing this I happened to notice that fuse 48 for a sound generator.

Somehow, this car doesn't make any noise, luckily, nor any faults displayed.

Yes, I got lucky, maybe from previous 1 owner. But just thought I'd point out how most drivers don't have access to the VCDS. They probably will have to use the 10ohm method.

Back