what should happen when I...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotcher

...plug in a charger to my eGolf. According to the manual, there should be a green blinking light in the charge port indicating that charging is in progress. that green light should go solid when charging is complete.

what is actually happening, is that the green light never blinks...it just goes solid green. when i come back hours later to a fully charged car, the light is off all together.

what makes this more interesting is that with my backup charger (eTron) on either L1 or L2, i get a solid yellow light which i believe means there's something wrong with the voltage...but the dash shows the car is charging and give me a charge-till-full time estimate.

any ideas?

I would not call green light blinking, but throbbing, when charging. Solid green light stays on only for a minute or two and then turns off - unless you are standing there watching the light, you most likely will not be able to observe the solid green light but see no light.

Solid yellow can mean a few things. If you see solid yellow when you first plug in, it means the charging cable is connected to the car and has been detected. If all is ok, it should switch to the throbbing green light. You did not saw whether the car charges using the e-Tron EVSE - if you are able to charge the battery, then it is working fine.

Depending on if you are outside or with direct sunlight it may be hard to notice the light pattern. I just check that it is green after plug it in. Don't worry about it being blinking :)

For the yellow light situation check that your locking pin on the port is coming out/engaging when you're plugged in/charging. Recently my 2016 would give me an alternating green/yellow/green/yellow or solid yellow when charging at times, which ended up being the locking pin not engaging correctly. This would usually happen If I interrupted the charging process by unlocking the car. When the charging resumed the light would be yellow. The car charged perfectly fine otherwise. The dealer replaced the locking pin mechanism and also performed a software update.

bmartinez028 said:
. The dealer replaced the locking pin mechanism and also performed a software update.

Was this a recent thing? 2016 SEL here. I just got the car a month ago and was wondering if was possible to know if it has the latest software installed. I have the issue/feature with the AC not remembering the last setting and want to get it fixed.

I had a 2015 and now a 2017 and am not aware of any recalls. You might be able to get a software update so the car remembers your last HVAC setting, but depending on your dealer, you may have to pay for it as a 2016 is well out of the bumper to bumper warranty period.

Back