Tire pressure and tire replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a long rabbit hole story but the short version is I am trying to buy new tires for my 2019 e-Golf (8k miles). The right rear has a nail and I generally distrust OEM tires so I ordered a set of Michelin Defenders. The local Costco people said hold on, the replacements have a recommended max pressure of 44 psi, and the e-Golf spec is 41–too close for comfort.

I had no idea. They sold me a set of Bridgestone Driveguards (run flats) that have a max psi of 51. The incident brings up several questions. Should I have just replaced the one injured Ecopia? Should I have gone ahead with the Michelin’s knowing there must be a huge built in safety factor for the max tire pressure spec; or did I just do the right thing by buying run flat tires for my spare-less vehicle?

Assuming that the injured tire was not repairable, I too would have purchased just one OEM tire. 8K miles is not a lot of difference in tread between the single new versus the 3 older ones.

The runflats MAY save you from using the goo that comes with the car, assuming that you have discovered the puncture in time and take it for repair.

Back