unable to start remove charging plug. Works after a minute.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So basically my 2016 Egolf SE w fast charging displays this message every time I disconnect my home charger. If I wait between 30 & 90s it figures out it's disconnected and works like a charm.
Any ideas? Bad sensor? Etc...
Thank you

Do you get this message using any L2 or L1 stations? Maybe try a different EVSE to try to isolate problem to either car or EVSE?

Do you get this message with DCFC?

f1geek said:
Do you get this message using any L2 or L1 stations? Maybe try a different EVSE to try to isolate problem to either car or EVSE?

Do you get this message with DCFC?

Hi there, this is with at home w L1. I tried different outlets but it seems related to the sensor not detecting that the cable is unplugged...

I still think you need to try using a different station, say a public L2 or even DCFC. Also you might want to look very closely at the plug locking pin as well as electrical pins on the car J1772 inlet.

I have had occasional plug removal issues on my 2015 SEL model. I periodically spray the locking pin in the charging socket of the vehicle with silicon spray lubricant. I direct the spray at the locking pin with the charging plug engaged. Others on this forum have used this technique.

The same thing happened with my 2015 and ultimately VW replaced the charging port on the car. The solenoid that retracts the locking pin would occasionally not retract but luckily I could push the pin back using a screwdriver. This work-around was fine for a couple of months but eventually the solenoid completely failed and prevented the car from charging. Luckily I reported the issue during the 30K service and they didn't find any issues, so when it completely failed and I had 38K on the car, they still did the fix under warranty. It took them about a week and they had to drop the battery in order to access the charge port, so it would have been very expensive.

Back