stefanog00

unable to start remove charging plug. Works after a minute.

Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:10 am

So basically my 2016 Egolf SE w fast charging displays this message every time I disconnect my home charger. If I wait between 30 & 90s it figures out it's disconnected and works like a charm.
Any ideas? Bad sensor? Etc...
Thank you

f1geek

Re: unable to start remove charging plug. Works after a minute.

Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:27 am

Do you get this message using any L2 or L1 stations? Maybe try a different EVSE to try to isolate problem to either car or EVSE?

Do you get this message with DCFC?
2017 e-Golf LE, Multi Coat White with Black Vegan Leather interior

stefanog00

Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:32 pm

f1geek wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:27 am
Do you get this message using any L2 or L1 stations? Maybe try a different EVSE to try to isolate problem to either car or EVSE?

Do you get this message with DCFC?
Hi there, this is with at home w L1. I tried different outlets but it seems related to the sensor not detecting that the cable is unplugged...

f1geek

Sat May 01, 2021 8:12 am

I still think you need to try using a different station, say a public L2 or even DCFC. Also you might want to look very closely at the plug locking pin as well as electrical pins on the car J1772 inlet.
2017 e-Golf LE, Multi Coat White with Black Vegan Leather interior

RecoverE

Sat May 01, 2021 9:20 am

I have had occasional plug removal issues on my 2015 SEL model. I periodically spray the locking pin in the charging socket of the vehicle with silicon spray lubricant. I direct the spray at the locking pin with the charging plug engaged. Others on this forum have used this technique.

dparson

Sun May 16, 2021 7:14 pm

The same thing happened with my 2015 and ultimately VW replaced the charging port on the car. The solenoid that retracts the locking pin would occasionally not retract but luckily I could push the pin back using a screwdriver. This work-around was fine for a couple of months but eventually the solenoid completely failed and prevented the car from charging. Luckily I reported the issue during the 30K service and they didn't find any issues, so when it completely failed and I had 38K on the car, they still did the fix under warranty. It took them about a week and they had to drop the battery in order to access the charge port, so it would have been very expensive.
2015 e-Golf SEL Premium

Return to “Technical Discussions”